Friday, September 3, 2010

Kow Kei and egg soup

Mum make this soup very often for us believing it will improve eye sight.  I do not know if there is any scientific truth to it but then I don't really care because it is our all time favorite soup and it is so simple to make.  I like the taste of this soup and this is one of the few clear soup that pleases my Quaylo hubby's pallete.  You know Westerners prefer creamy soup or soup with lots of "chunkies" inside.

Kow Kei Soup (lycium barbarum or Chinese 
Wolfberries plant )




Ingredients
 300 gms Kow Kei (leaf only)
 1 or 2 bib garlic chopped
 ½ cup of Kei Ji (Chinese Wolfberries)
 1 egg lightly beaten
 1 tbsp vegetable oil
 Chicken stock
 A drop of sesame oil

In a wok, add vegetable oil. Add chopped garlic and fry till fragrant.  Add Kow Kei and mix well with the oil.  Add chicken stock and Chinese Wolfberries. Bring to a boil over a low heat.  When the stocks starts to boil and the Kow Kei is limp, turn off the heat before streaming in the egg.  Add a drop of sesame oil.

Another variation of making this soup is to add, 1 salted egg and 1 century eggs.  You can even add fried anchovies if you do not mind a little fishy taste.  


If you like "Pan Mien" you should try putting Kow Kei instead of other green vegetables in the soup.   OOOO it is soooo GOOOOOD!!!

5 comments:

  1. hmm.. I've seen the berries at the market, but I have never come across the greens. Out of curiosity, what is their taste similar to?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really interesting, I have never had it before but it looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toby,
    The leaves is smooth to the pallete and taste is more similar to the turnip green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ravenomnoms,
    Thanks for your comments:D Do try making this soup and let me know if you like it. Can you get the greens ad woofberries easily at your end?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could find this plant here!
    Gorgeous soup! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!