Monday, June 17, 2013

Put to good use, No waste


Lessons learnt from my mum always stays with me. My mum never let me waste food. She would make sure I finished every bit in my bowl. I was taught to take what I can eat only and leaving food and let it waste is totally unacceptable. She even scared me by saying if I leave a grain of rice in my bowl, I will marry a husband who have a face full of scars. LOL!

Nowadays, children are raised in an environment where parents rushed to fulfil their desire so they grow up to be indifferent towards what they get or own, including food. My mum said, it is the parents’ doing that they developed this behavior. I think she is right. So it is the parents’ responsibility to eduate their children that they must not waste food.

So under the training of my mum, I could never stand leftovers food starring at me when I open my refrigerator. I had this Tupperware of left over pulled pork which I could have make pulled pork burgers again but then I wanted to do something different with it. What I came up with is this.

Pulled pork and spinach penne
Largely adapted from epicurious.com






Ingredients:
1 cup left over pulled pork
1 tbs unsalted butter
2 medium leeks, white and pale-green parts only, diced
sea salt to taste
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary
2 cups penne
½ cup shaved Parmesan
parsley for garnishing

Method:
Heat butter in pan over medium heat. Add leeks and season with sea salt. Increase heat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, until leeks begin to caramelized. Add pulled pork. Add cream and chopped rosemary. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 1cup pasta cooking liquid. Add pasta and 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid to sauce and stir to coat. Increase heat to medium and continue stirring, adding more cooking liquid as needed, until sauce coats pasta.

25 comments:

  1. I can have the whole plate right now. Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you could. Hope you get selected for the AFC thingy. I voted for you.

      Delete
  2. Yes, it's a sin to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you taught Melissa not to waste food a very young age right?

      Delete
  3. Quay Po, I don't like to waste food too. Great idea to use your pulled pork with penne. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making pulled pork, so tasty and so much thing to do with leftovers.

      Delete
  4. Yes. We are taught not to waste food when we were young. But looking back at my own kids, I wonder how to educate them on not wasting food. Me and hubby do not waste food. And we keep reminding them on other unfortunate kids in someplace where food is scarce and people die of hunger everyday. Nowadays kids take food for granted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. There are so many out there who have not enough to eat, it is a sin to waste food.

      Delete
  5. Waste not , want not ..... I've got this expired yogurt , 2 weeks past its prime but still used it when I baked my cake yesterday :D How's that for no waste ? lol You had me at pulled pork ! That pasta looks scrumptious .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mum is very wise - nice looking pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not always right but not in doubt either. LOL!

      Delete
  7. Tasty looking pasta dish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was always told that every grain of rice left behind is one less you'll get in your next lifetime... I guess there are variations on the saying!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was waiting for this! It is just beautiful, love the colours, the flavours and the way you put it together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi QP, just came to praise your anak. Just saw the youtube "This is Why" and he is indeed very talended. Like his music for the story.

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and I will pass your compliment to him. I am sure he will be very pleased to hear that.

      Delete
  11. Hi Veronica, thanks for your kind comment on my blog...so sorry to hear that you are still using crutches; ouch! that must still hurt somewhat. I'm just hobbling around still, (no crutches)

    Your pasta is scrumptious and delicious. I agree with your mum, 'never waste food'. I always use up every piece of leftover and combine it to make something else out of it. Your pulled pork is a wise way to use it in another creation!

    I check out your first cooking video, and I must say you did an outstanding job on the entire vide. Very professional, and 'flawless'~
    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wasted food is no no here in my household too, so we try to reuse it all the time. Your penne looks DEEEE-LICIOUS!!!Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hahaha, my mom scared me too, luckily I did not waste foods, so has a no scars hubby..your pasta sound yummy eventhough use leftover pulled pork

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!