Monday, October 18, 2010

Silky tofu in ginger and spring onion sauce - featured at Dishfolio 17 Nov 2010

One common and refreshing dish that we always eat at home is bean curd in light soya sauce and garlic oil topped with fried shallots but I have never had bean curd made this way.  This recipe is largely adapted from Chef Sam Leong's recipe except I cut down on the amount of salt and baby anchovies and I use mirin in place of the cooking wine and I use garlic oil instead of just warm oil.  I served it cold instead of hot. This is so easy to make and the taste is so refreshing.



Serving: 2

Main Ingredients:
80 gm silky tofu
10 gm baby anchovies
1 cup diced spring onions (only the green part)

Ingredients for sauce:
(A)
30 gm young ginger, peeled
30 gm spring onion, cut into shorter stalks
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp mirin

(B)
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 tsp garlic

Method to prepare the sauce:
Put (A) into the blender. Heat the wok with vegetable oil and fried garlic till it is fragrant and put into the blender as well.  Pureed (A) and (B) and set the sauce aside.

Method to prepare the Main Ingredients:

Gently place the silky tofu in a deep serving plate and place in the fridge for about 2 hours.  Just 15 mins before serving time, diced the spring onion and set aside. Deep fry the baby anchovies till golden brown. Drain all the oil and place them on a kitchen towel to have all the oil absorbed and set aside.  Take tofu out of the fridge, pour the sauce over it and garnished with diced spring onion and deep fried baby anchovies and serve immediately.

I have submitted this entry to  Malaysian Monday.  Do check out 3 hungry tummies or test with a skewer for more information.

17 comments:

  1. I love your modifications. Sounds much better than the original. Tofu is such a great ingredient. Lovely dish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks gorgeous!!!!! Loved the photo..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    Thanks. By the way how is the going with the Foodbuzz Round 4? I voted for you:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ambika,

    Thanks for dropping by. You have so many great recipes in your blog. I got to go find the ingredients to make the Pakora:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummm....delicious. It reminds me of my Grandmother's Bean Curd with Mince Prawn and golden fried shallots

    ReplyDelete
  6. this must be delicious with the blended ingredients. I am going to make this soon. Thanks Quay Po for your recipe :) love them all and your photos are great...enough to make me want to stretch my hands into the Windows and grab that piece of delicious tofu :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aliza,
    Oh yes, you can definitely put minced prawns and golden fried shallots! My mum cook that variation too, I love it! Thanks for visiting my blog and drop a comment. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my dear Elin,
    You are most welcome. I am still learning to improve my photography skill. Your comment made my day! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Elin,
    I just realised that we came from the same hometown, Ipoh! The next time I go Ipoh, I must meet up with you and we can talk about food the whole day! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely like the ginger and spring onion sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tigerfish,

    I appreciate your visit and comment. Hope to see again soon. Dropped by your blog, you have a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, this looks amazing. i love your food as well as photos! gotta try this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Yue,
    Thanks for your visit and let me discover your blog! I am your follower now so that I will not miss a single splendid shot of yours! Oh and thanks for leaving a positive comment:D Hope to see you often.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a very interesting dish. I love how the sauce looks green So fun, yet so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Shaz, easy and simple. You are right about the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  16. perfect! and lovely for lunches in the hot weather.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks yummy.. i wanna try these.. thanks for this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!