Monday, March 5, 2012

We are Women, hear us ROAR!

With reference to my post titled "Deadly words used by Women", a phrase I have included is "I am Woman, hear me roar". My Quay Lo told me the phrase comes from a song by Australian artist Helen Reddy.  Such a beautiful song and a wonderful tribute to women.


While I was watching the video, I received an unexpected phone call. I heard this sweet voice addressing me as Aunty Veronica and introducing herself as Xandria. She said she was with a new radio station (only about four months old) called Capital Fm 88.9 and it is the first radio station in Malaysia that targets a young, urban, female demographic. The video and the phone call at the same time made for an interesting co-incidence. 

Xandria explained to me that the station is the only radio station in our country that provides women a voice and a hub to exchange thoughts and opinions. Isn't that fantastic? Then she told me that she heard about my blog and found that the stories posted there would be something that all women could relate to and she would like to invite me to be a guest on her show. Me? Going on the air? Thousands of women hearing my voice? Wow!  

Uh oh, wow indeed. After the initial adrenalin rush, I began to feel nervous. I told her my English was not so good. She assured me that it is not a formal interview and was  just a very casual chit chat session. She asked me to just be myself and speak like me. Ohkay! LOL!  She also told me that the general theme of her programs is  “Anything is possible” and is intended to showcase discussions with women who have overcome adversity, or have pursued a dream and I liked that idea!  I was so very pleased to hear about the existence of a program like this even though I felt a little apprehension about being a guest on the show. Nevertheless, Xandria was so charming, enthusiastic, and upbeat I could not have resisted.  So Wednesday came and I was expected to be in the studio at 5.45pm because the show would start at 6.00pm. 

I think all women within broadcast range (which includes access on the station's web site from anywhere on the globe) should be interested. For more info, just click on the picture of Xandria and her co-DeeJay, Liang to get registered. I am WOMAN so I DID!


The Jam Break with DJ Xandria Ooi and Dj Liang

  Quay Po with Xandria and Liang

It was the first time I had ever stepped into a radio station’s studio and I was a little nervous, but it did not take me long to feel at home because Xandria and Liang were so warm and friendly. When the show started, we spoke as if we were chatting over tea and we had so much fun, especially when I told them about my “Lucy” moments.

Since I knew I was going to the studio and talk about Quay Po Cooks, I thought I might as well bake something for them to try. I brought them a box of kumquat mini cupcakes, a recipe that was adapted from one posted by Wendy of "Table For Two Or More". This is one of the desserts she brought to the Chinese New Year Bloggers Potluck lunch that we had at the home of Sonia of "Nasi Lemak Lover" not long ago. I love these mini cupcakes for their delicous low key flavor.  I recommend that you try this.  

Kumquat almond mini cupcakes
Adapted from Table for two or more (with slight modification)



Makes 12 pcs 2x2-inch cupcakes

Ingredients:


Mixture (A)
35gm all purpose flour
50gm ground almond
½ tsp baking powder
*****************************
60gm butter
50gm caster sugar
2 eggs
60gm kumquat puree (recipe below)
18 pcs poached kumquat halves (recipe below)
1 tsp vanilla extract (I added this)

Method:
Prepare 12, 2x2 inch cupcakes liner. Preheat oven at 150(fan)/170C. Sift flour and baking powder. Mix in ground almond (Mixture A), set aside. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one by one, beating well after each addition. Put in Mixture A in 2 additions, mixing well after each. Mix in kumquat puree. Divide batter equally into prepared cupcake liners and top with a kumquat half. Bake for 10 mins (2x2 inch) or longer for larger cupcake liners.

*******************************************
Kumquat compote

Ingredients:
20 kumquats
Sugar
Water

Method:
Weigh kumquats and prepare equal amount of water (in weight) and half amount of sugar (ratio: 2:2:1, kumquat:water:sugar, eg : 200gm:200gm:100gm)

Half kumquats and remove seeds. Put cleaned kumquats, sugar and water into a saucepan and cook (on med heat)until the kumquat looks glossy and soft. Remove 12 pcs of halves and puree the rest with some of the syrup. 


Keep the balance of the puree to make linzer kumquat cookies which I will be sharing the recipe with you soon.

78 comments:

  1. Quay Po you were on air? That's great! Wendy's recipe always so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing, good for you!!! They made an excellent choice chosing you,,, wonderful cakes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie. If you can get kumquat at your end, do try this cake. You will not regret it:D

      Delete
  3. Congrats, Veron! That's an awesome achievement & I'm so proud of u. These cupcakes look amazing! I'm sure they were gone in no time. Hahaha! Way to go, Quay Po Cooks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley. I am so happy that there is this platform to showcase women issues. Great station!

      Delete
  4. Next time Quay Po step into the TV station,ok..ehehheeh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yee Ling, if I go on TV, it will not be a cooking show but a comedy! "I LOVE AUNTY LUCY!" hahaha

      Delete
  5. Hey, so sorry i was totally forgot to listern of your talk because usually at that time i will be in the kitchen preparing dinner..I will go ahead to the link that you provided..Congrats again Veron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, no apology needed. It is easy to forget when we are busy in the kitchen:D Will catch up with you someday soon. Hey I found the peelers I bought for you and Wendy. It was in my wardrobe!! hahaha, I don't how it got there. Anyway, will pass to you when we meet again, hopefully soon. XOXO

      Delete
  6. A celebrity now - I bet you get invited on lots more now. Great cupcakes! I remember Helen Reddy singing this song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe celebrity? me? not even close but I am glad I got this opportunity to go on air and share a bit of my life experience, especially the tough time I went through. I hope women who are in the same situation will know that they are not alone and how tough time may be, it will pass.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on going on air! Will listen to all the links provided.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. Hope you enjoy the topic discussed.

      Delete
  8. Hooray for your radio interview --- and so sweet of you to have baked them some sweet treats too. Gonna download the interview mp3's now and listen to them. Congrats, dear! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe, thanks my dear. After listening, will you too start calling me Aunty Lucy?

      Delete
  9. One of my favourite songs of all time, even though I'm not a woman. It was in a movie - "Stand up and be counted", a film during the time when the Women's Lib Movement was in full swing...and all of them were burning their bras.

    I particularly remember a scene where the wife was complaining to the hubby that he was treating her like a sex object and the hubby asked her, "If I don;t take you as a sex object, what do I take as one? The table? The chair?" Muahahahahaha!!!!! I enjoyed the movie too - saw it in Singapore in 1973.

    Ooooo....love your cupcakes...I mean, your kumquat cupcakes. Muahahahahaha!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This song is very hard to sing although it sounded simple. I just can't hit the notes! I can understand why you remember the bras! hahaha... I think I have seen that movie but forgotten most of the scenes. The hubby in the movie said that? Nowadays if man said that to their woman, he will be sit on and her her ROAR!! muahahaha

      Delete
  10. P.S. Congrats on your debut on air...

    ReplyDelete
  11. d title sound so agressive... hehehe
    Roar ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, treat us nice, we meow if don't want to hear us ROAR! LOL!

      Delete
  12. Meow! ... I mean ... ROAR!!! I definitely will make this cupcake! First - in honor of all the women out there who have become stronger due to certain hardships in their lives, 2nd - to the success of your show and how much I enjoyed listening to it, 3rd - becoz I love kumquats and am drooling at the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. MEOW!! Well said Ping! ROAR!!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you know, I go goo goo ga ga when I heard of recipes with kumquats!! I know this tea cakes are real...... YUMMY! If only I can get kumquats anytime I want....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha when I heard you say goo goo ga ga, it reminded me that I told my girlfriends that I want to exit the world before I go goo goo ga ga when I grow older.

      Delete
  15. wow, u r so great, congratulations on your achievement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eileen, thanks but don't forget you too is a great woman:D

      Delete
  16. Congrats QPC! What a fantastic moment and so glad you shared it with us here in your blog post. Looking stunning too, if I might add ;). I was just at cold storage just now and I was contemplating whether to get some kumquats. Will be bookmarking this recipe. It's time for me to try kumquats. Have a good week ahead!! xoxo..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear. Lots of kumquats in the market now. Go grab some!

      Delete
  17. Congratulations! Its wonderful! I have bookmarked the cupcake recipe. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Hope you enjoy the cupcakes as much as we did. Cheers!

      Delete
  18. You are so glamour to go on air. I will be as excited as you if it is happened on me. It is so thoughtful to make them these beautiful cup cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The excitement is over but the good memory stayed:D

      Delete
  19. OMG, what else is impossible to happen to you@Lucy?That's great news & looks like you are getting famous each day! I'm waiting to see Quay Po in the movie soon or may be to release a book? Come on, you can do it!I will love to buy a book from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haiyah, one interview on air will get famous meh? Why you are interested to see a Malaysian comedy called I love Aunty Lucy? Release a book? Who want to know about this nobody lah. Don't pull my leg. LOL!

      Delete
  20. Quay Po, I just recall of something. I must salute to this DJ for being able to get your contact number. I sent you an email a long time ago, asking for your contact number too but I'm still waiting for your reply, haiiiii! Anyway, this is my email address:jessienwl@yahoo.com

    I was thinking, may be Quay Po forgot to press the send button again. Or......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A thousand apologies. I cannot even recall you asked me for my contact number. I send you email already and I did press the send button. hehe

      Delete
    2. Quay Po, I have 1 more idea for you, run a stand-up comedy, be a stand-up comedian! Why not, the best stories always come from a normal person, a nobody! I'm sure that many other of your followers couldn't agree more than this!

      This turn is my apology, I did not receive your email. Seriously, here's my address again, jessienwl@yahoo.com

      There is no "dot com dot au, just dot com"

      What the, ok, here is my australian mobile number 0402 851 328 but I'm not sure what should add in front of the mobile number woh!

      Delete
  21. Sorry i missed the show. Was unwell that day.

    Lucky no Lucy moment on air :p

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an honour and so much fun for you. Sadly I am unable to play videos or sound recordings on my computer because our connection is so slow here :( Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a lot of fun especially when the session was not formal. I enjoyed myself. Hope all is well with you and yours.

      Delete
  23. congratulations on going on air! This is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tze. Quite an experience and a nice memory!

      Delete
  24. Excellent picture of you and the DJ. Respect for doing this, you are brave.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Filip. haha, I was nervous at first but then like I explained the two DJs were so warm and friendly. They made me feel at home.

      Delete
  25. How exciting Veronica!!! I love that song by Helen Reddy by the way. I think she sang another one called You and Me Against the World I'll need to check:) You sure do look comfortable at the radio station. Yes indeed, Anything Is Possible!!! Hear me Roar!!! Delighted you went for it!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Louise, I must check out that song you mentioned. I love her voice. I am glad I went for it even a bit nervous for it was so much fun.

      Delete
  26. Wow this is very exciting! Congrats to you and Xandria really is a charmer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xandria is not only a charmer, she is a knock out beauty. I like her because she is very warm and friendly.

      Delete
  27. Congrats!!! I saw your FB and I was excited for you! This was such a cool opportunity! I'd be too shy to speak in public but you are natural. Hope there will be more opportunities like this... like TV! ;-) I love your mini cupcakes. Kumquat is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nami:D I am quite used to speaking in public because during my corporate days, I did a lot of sales presentation in front of a crowd.

      Delete
  28. wow! congratulations Veron! Now you're on the radio. What's next? TV? Getting famous la you..hehe. Your english is not terrible lar. You speak normal what and you write very well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. If I am TV, it will not be a cooking show. Like I said, it will probably be a comedy! Yes I speak like me and I write from my heart:D

      Delete
    2. Carolyn. URGENT! Pos Laju called said today is last day to claim the package I sent u. Pls go get it if not they will return to me.

      Delete
  29. Congratulations This is cool! I've never been to a radio station before.. wonder how it feels, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hayley. It was a nice experience, it feels good! hehe

      Delete
  30. Congratulations on being asked to speak on a radio station. I can't even imagine what that would be like. What an honor. I hope you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I enjoyed myself very much. Did expected to have so much fun.

      Delete
  31. How exciting!!!! I am leaving this up on my desktop so that I can listen later today while my kids are resting. What fun!

    The cupcakes look adorable too. I love those wrappers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary for listening to the recording. Hope you enjoy our chat. You like the cupcakes wrappers? If I see some next time, I will get some for you. Then only I will ask you for your address.

      Delete
  32. Wow, such coolness to be invited to go on air! Congrats! I do listen to their program occasionally when I driving home from work but unfortunately not on that day :( Will try to listen to the recordings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear. Yes it is a great station for women. Hope you enjoy the recording.

      Delete
  33. Thank for your visit and taking time to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is cool being invited to speak on air. The DJs are so funny with their poses.

    Love the cupcakes. They are very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe, I have to admit I was pretty excited! Both DJs are witty and humorous.

      Delete
  35. thanks for doing the recording here.. as i told you, i couldnt get the station that eve..will come back later and listen. Cheers for international woman's day and cheers for quay po!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to thank me for the recording. Of all people I don't want you to miss this. Xoxo

      Delete
  36. Congratulations! Your story has indeed entertained us. Too bad Oprah stopped or else we will see you at Oprah Show.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oooopppsss, missed out this special post! Hey, congrats on your interview. Must be so nervous. haha... How nice to meet Xandria in person!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, it was a pleasure to meet Xandria in person. She is a gorgeous and nice lady.

      Delete
  38. Gosh I can't believe I almost missed this post.
    With ur wit, I'm sure you must have done a very good job.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wendy, I don't know if I have any wit. hehe The programme is live so when Xandria asked me questions, I just reply as if she is my friend. "Hantam ajer lah" I forewarned her that my English sucks and this Quay Po does not speak like one, and also told her about how Lucy I can be, so she was well aware with who she dealing with! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  40. OMG!!! Congrats Quay Po!!! This is really amazing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!