Thursday, March 14, 2013

A long overdue post


This is a long overdue post. For quite a while now I had lost the folder with the photos of the occasion. It is a pre-Christmas pot luck lunch at Sonia's home. She is the originator of the “Nasi Lemak Lover” blog.  All of us were to bring a contribution and I took  "chee cheong fun" from my favorite store and home made yong tau fu, the one that my Mum taught me.


Yong tau fu that mum taught me to make, with taucu

Chee cheong fun from my favorite store

the yong tau fu I brought to Sonia's house

The gathering was planned so that we could meet up with Jessie of “Jessie Cooking Moments” and her family. Jessie is  a Malaysian living in Australia and we were all eager to meet and greet.

Yen of “Eating Your Heart Out” and her hubby were there with us too.  Yen brought with her some delicious nama chocolate and banana cake. (Yen, correct me if I am wrong. LOL!).


Sonia was a generous and a terrific host as always. You can see all the food she prepared for us!

What do foodies do when they get together? We make food, of course, and Sonia let us help prepare the “tong yuen” and it was fun to do.

Yen’s hubby was having fun not only making the “tong yuen” but wrapping the poppiah. Check out his original sauce applying idea.

I brought everyone a small Christmas gift as it was the season. I even had a surprise for Sonia’s youngest son, Desmond. 

Please click on the picture to get the recipe


The little one that enjoyed my “otak otak” a couple of years ago, is now a big boy. I thought letting him play this Ang Pau game would be fun for him.  So I had a bunch of red packets with different amount of money inside and I told him that there were big and small gifts and that it was on him to pick out the biggest one.


He was so excited when he heard that. He looked at the Ang paus intensely, as if he could see the amount inside. Then he leaped to pull out an envelope and quickly opened it. From his expression, I could read what was in his head. “OH NO! AIYAH, only RM20.00. Chay!!” LOL!



For those of you who would like to try making popiah at home, click on the photo below to get the recipe. We have popiah parties and have a ball to see who is most skilled at rolling them,and who can eat the most.

Please click on the photo to get the recipe

We had a wonderful afternoon together. I regretted I could not spend more time with Jessie and family as I had to head back home early. But then, I am very glad I got to meet her in person. She is such a sweet young lady. 




23 comments:

  1. It was a very fun afternoon, Sonia took care us so well with all the lovely food hor! Too bad u had to leave early, or else we can "kepoh" together for a longer time with Jessie and Sonia.

    Btw it's Madeira cake, not banana cake. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind, we will do this again on Jessie's next visit.

      Delete
  2. Oooo...I wanna try your otak-otak...and your popiah looks soooo good too! Wish I were there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arthur. I know you going to enjoy the otak otak.

      Delete
  3. oh wow...such lovely food.

    I wonder how to make the Yong Sing Gua(Angle gourd). fry it in the pan/wok or cook it in soup?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely gathering and fabulous food! Bet you guys had a really great time meeting up and eating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mouth watering, wish I could join you for a meal. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tasty looking post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so fun.......and of course, the food looks super delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Food bloggers' gathering are always fun. So much yummy food to indulge.

      Delete
  8. Hello hello! I was wondering yesterday why there is one of your readers visited my blog, hahaha, thanks for "introducing" me here! I still feel extremely sorry for turning up so late. Only if you could stay a bit longer as we hang out there until after dinner time, you know. Isabelle even had shower there, hehehe! She was sick & we got loss, thanks to the GPS! Anyway, I did try your yong tau fu & chee cheong fan, like it! So next time will you be scared of meeting up with us again, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, not scared but terrified!! Hahaha, just kidding my dear. We will do it again when you visit next.

      Delete
  9. Wow... Looks like lots of fun with fellow like-minded foodie bloggers! I wish I were there!

    Hmmm... maybe I should look for some Singaporean bloggers to do the same. :D Knock knock... anyone out there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes, that's a good idea. You will sure enjoy yourself.

      Delete
  10. Hello, fun gathering. One wonderful aspect of food - it brings people all over the world closer and always in touch with each other through the 'little box'. It's real...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sure is exciting and fun to gather and prepare food. It has been a while since the last time my gang gathered to prepare food.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that's really good looking ytf, i'd love to have them for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!