Monday, March 18, 2013

Why giving matters


You may have heard the old adage "it is better to give than to receive," but you may not believe it. Well, now scientific studies show that it’s true. — Anthony L. Komaroff, MD 

Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and Sir Richard Branson are the proofs of "Giving brings happiness". They all said, "Stuff" really is not what brings happiness. Family, friends, good health and the satisfaction that comes from making a positive difference are what really matters. 

We may not have so much to give like these billionaires but I believe we can always give within our means. For as long as we are willing to give, we will enjoy the same happiness like them.  There are peripheral benefits as well. For example, we set a good example for our children to follow so they too will be givers and enjoy the benefits of happiness, more satisfaction, and general well being that it can bring.

So, when my BFF (best friend forever), Peng asked me if I would like to bake something for a charity fare organized by the temple that she goes to, I said, “Sure! it is a good opportunity for me to give and it is within my means." But then, after that, I forgot all about it. Aiyoh! I am sincere in giving but organizing skills and memory could use a fresh up. LOL! Fortunately, my friend knows me well, and she  sent me an sms two days before the event to remind me. Then, I started scratching my head over what to bake for my contribution. I wanted to bake carrot cake 



and banana chocolate cake 



but then, these cakes need to be kept cold and they are not suitable for an event with no refrigerated facilities. Finally, I scratched out these muffins. My BFF told me the muffins were sold out quickly and another friend who bought it and tasted it said it was moist, fluffy and delicious. She said she wants to bake the muffins and there you go, the recipe will follow. 


The ones I baked to sell at the event was not the upside down version because they would have been too difficult to pack. I baked the upright muffins with cranberry sauce on top. They was really no difference in taste whether upright or upside down. Make your choice

Upside down cranberry muffin
This bake is inspired by “joy of Baking”



Recipe for cranberry sauce, please click on the photo to get my recipe.


Recipe for the batter, please click the photo to get the recipe from "Joy of Baking".  Two things I changed were 1) I used my own cranberry sauce recipe and 2) I reduced the sugar amount to 80gms from 100gms.


25 comments:

  1. Hi Quay Po,
    I agreed giving is happiness. I always believe giving and sharing to those around us is a way of caring to each other.

    I love you upside down cranberry muffins. The cranberries it's like pretty rubies.
    Oh!! I love your banana chocolate cake too..they looks moist and so inviting!!
    I must try this soon:)
    mui


    ReplyDelete
  2. Quay Po, fully agree! Oh, your muffins are so beautiful, love the ruby red colour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your cranberry sauce recipe. Those muffins look very light and moist (even from the photo). And it feels so good to share!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful gem.... looked delicious.

    Love to read your story before each recipe. So meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally agree with you on the bit on sharing, I always feel that it is a blessing to be able to give and share :) Btw, i have tried your carrot and banana cakes, they turned out great, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to receive, but I think that giving can be very satisfying. Love these muffins I am not surprised they sold out quickly. Have a great week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. The more you give and share, the more happier and abundant you are@

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the colours! So vibrant and inviting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I believe that as one gives, thus shall one receive... What goes around comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quay Po has a Bodhi heart, good for you! Speaking of Peng, she seems like a bit quiet in blogging? Or is it becoz she has changed to private blogging? Anyway, love your cranberry sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  11. God bless you for that beautiful heart of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I totally agree with giving, I guess that's why we bakers enjoy baking so much, because we can then gift our cakes to people :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Mui Mui, do let me know the outcome of your bakes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @phong hong, I agree the color of this cake is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Magnolia, that's why we keep in sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @mNhL, nice to know you appreciate my stories.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @lite home bake, so good to know the recipes I shared worked for you. Thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Kelly, they are. Whoever received this as a gift will love this. It will brighten up the day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. @jessie, Peng and Ping are two different person. Peng is not a blogger:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Janine, you are spot on my dear:)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!