Thursday, February 21, 2013

Not so Anna Olson


In November last year, I attended Anna Olson’s cooking demo. She showed us how to make meat pie and since then, I have wanted to make one at home.  I did not follow her recipe and ended up creating my own, primarily to match the ingredients I had on hand, but also because it felt like a good time to play-play. When I shared the meat pie photos on my facebook page, I received several requests for the recipe and here it is. I know my meat pie does not look as professional as Anna's but I am happy with it because it tasted really good. Try it. The test is in the tasting. And if you are feeling playful, by all means, get crazy. I hope you will let us know about it. 

Quay Po Cooks’ meat pie





Fillings ingredients:
2 tbs bacon oil
1 kg ground beef
1 large onion,chopped
1 tsp chopped rosemary
1 tsp chopped thyme
1 tsp chopped sage
1 tbs chopped basil
1 tbs chopped garlic
1 tbs minced ginger
3/4 cup water
1 tsp flour
2 celery ribs, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
2 medium potatoes, diced
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon clove
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 pcs 9 inch pie crusts (click here to get the recipe but omit the sugar)

Method:
Mix meat with chopped rosemary, thyme, sage, salt and pepper and set aside. Heat oil in pan and sauté garlic, ginger and onion till onion is translucent. Add meat and mix well and stir fry till brown. Stir in water, celery, carrot, potato, chicken boullion and basil. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 7-8 minutes. Add in cinnamon, clove and nutmeg, flour and mix well. Turn off heat and let it cool slightly before spoon into pie shells. Cover with pastry topping. Brush beaten egg lightly on crust. Bake 375°F 30-40 minutes. Serve with béchamel sauce and your favorite vegetables.

49 comments:

  1. Or dear, this pie looks perfect! I've been in the pie mode this few days: it's cold and ground is covered in snow. Perfect timing for a hearty pie. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Marina. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  2. Hi Veronica!

    I just had to stop to tell you how amazing your meat pie looks. Simply incredible I have a feeling it tastes mighty good too!

    Thank you so much for sharing...Anna Olson look out, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your meat pie look so perfect and beautiful! I bet QuayLo gives two thumbs up on this pie. Looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm...I think you forgot the link to the pie crust. Shortcrust pastry, eh? I like! Not so much a fan off puff...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthurs thanks for spotting the broken link. Fixed already. Me too, I like shortcrust more.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I agree, it is huge but no problem finishing it all for us:D

      Delete
  6. Pro does not need to follow another Pro.. each have their own specialty and creativity! Though I didn't get to taste this, seeing is already drooling for me.. LOL...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, thanks for the compliment. I hope you will come to KL one day and I can let you taste this pie.

      Delete
  7. Quay Po, your pie looks beautiful to me! I can easily polish off one big slice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phong Hong. You can polish two, I will be so happy to let you taste my pie.

      Delete
  8. I like the small one on the rooster :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks very nice lah, where got not pro?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, you were there at Anna's demo, so there is no comparison. Hers was perfect.

      Delete
  10. Wow QP! The pie looks stunning! Really good looking!

    I like the "Q" on the mini one... Very personalized!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chef and Sommelier. I wanted to do QP but no more dough. hahaha

      Delete
  11. I also like the mini pie with "Q", so cute...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cass, good to see you again. Hope you had a wonderful CNY.

      Delete
  12. I'm drooling! Both look delicious! I like the small, cute one better though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. V , your meat pie is wonderful and I bet really tasty ! That pie looks even better than some of the meat pies that I've seen in some foodie magazines ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Anne, what you said about my pie had send me to the moon! LOL! Thanks for your encouraging words.

      Delete
  14. I love mince pie so much! it's make me feel like christmas again!haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh ya, I think I will make this pie for next Christmas.

      Delete
  15. Oh wow! It looked so crispy, thick and yummy! I like the fillings. Wish to have a piece of your pie...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just play play, also sound so yummy ! Happy Chap Goh Mei!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will get to taste my pie since we are staying so near to each other:D

      Delete
  17. wow Quaypo, I come over for the dinner! This looks totally right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks really good. it reminds of the meat pies I saw in London at all the cute little groceries. This will go on my try list! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know you want to try this recipe. I hope to get the feedback from you. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  19. Hi Quay Po,
    Your meat pie look great to me.
    I like the mini one in the red ramekins. It looks so cute with letter 'Q'

    Happy Cap Goh Mei!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mui Mui, I am sure you had a wonderful CNY> Thanks for your kind words.

      Delete
  20. A big and hearty meat pie! Love it! It looks sensational and the colour's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks darn perfect to me! And I love the beautiful garnishing you did, too...the Q is excellent!!! This is the sort of dish my hubby loves...I will treat him soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lizzy, So nice to see you again. I hope your hubby will like this pie when you treat him to it.

      Delete
  22. Wow! I don't think I can cut into a pie so neatly like you do! Looks perfectly baked, so golden and looks so delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you can Jeannie. You are just too modest.

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!