Friday, February 8, 2013

This, I won't procrastinate, GONG XI FA CAI


Today I heard the boss of our regular grocery shop ask why do people like to do last minute shopping.  That made me think of the word “procrastination”.  Aren't we all guilty of that sometimes? Is there any of us that do not feel the heat of our schedules breathing down our back? In this “rush rush” world, we seemed to have less and less time in a day to do all the things we want or need to do. When our "to do" list starts to stack up we are pretty much forced to re-priortize, and therein lies the rub. Something on the list is going to be sent to the end of the line, and suddenly we are procrastinators? Haha, no... that isn't really procrastination. That is just having too much to do. Sorry, no excuses, because we all have too many things to do. As my hubby says..."it is the human condition....get over it".  Procrastination is when there is something on your list that has to get done but it isn't any fun and you really hate doing it. To avoid it you begin to think of reasons why you can't do it today, as you may have irrationally promised yourself or others that you would.


There are times when I procrastinate although honestly, I don’t like to. It is always a task that I do not enjoy and with one type of chore I could even say "hate".  Let me say up front that the mere thought of any task involving any contact with a government office is enough to send me into a sweaty-palm state of anxiety.  Recently it was time to renew my dog’s license. It is a simple task but I dislike going to the MPSJ and sitting there for hours waiting for my number to be called. But then, the consequence of putting it off and not doing it at all is worst. So, I finally got it done (not without some difficulty best left out of the story).

From what I read, fear of failure is in the equation of procrastination, so once you eliminate that fear from the equation, you will be on your way to overcoming this bad habit. As for me, there are so many bakes and dishes, I have procrastinated publishing. That is usually because I frequently create dishes  or adaptations on-the-fly as it were. The problem then becomes my lack of discipline in making notes. So to publish a recipe I sometimes have to go to the kitchen and re-create the dish. In this case, I finally did exactly that. The only saving grace in this shortcoming is that this is a dish that I think you will find worth trying. It passes my Quay Lo second helping test. 


I share the pumpkin dish with you for Chinese New Year because pumpkin (南瓜; nánguā) is a symbol for prosperity, abundance, descendant's luck, illustrious children, enchantment,  and  it is believed that this fruit draws earth energy to manifest gold!


Couscous in roasted pumpkin





(A)
Ingredients:
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
½ large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves , minced
Salt to taste
3/4 tsp paprika
½ tsp cayenne (
1 can 14oz pelled whole pomodoro tomatoes with juice
1 roasted sweet red chili
1 roasted sweet yellow chili
2 Anaheim peppers, seeded and diced
½ cup snow peas
½ cup chicken broth
pieces of roasted turkey or chicken (dark meat is best)
1 cup couscous
2 halves roasted pumkpin

Method:
Heat the olive oil in Dutch oven over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until onion is tender, about 5 minutes, and stir in the garlic, the spices and salt to taste. Stir together until the mixure is fragrant, and add the tomatoes Cook, stirring break up the tomatoes and let it cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Add sweet chili, peas and chicken broth. Bring to a gentle boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add, chili and salt to taste. Bring back to a simmer and simmer 15 minutes or till pea is soft. Taste and adjust salt.

(B)
Prepare the Couscous:

Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth
1 tbs butter
1 tbs freshly chopped parsley
1/2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp freshly chopped basil
1/2 tsp roasted garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup couscous

Method:

In a saucepan, combine everything except the coucous and bring to boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.

Assemble the dish:
Mix coucous with (A) and spoon into the roasted pumpkin and serve.
Note:  The meat you see in the photos roasted turkey red meat. I had some leftover from our Christmas meal so  and I added to it but this is optional.


Now this, I will not procrastinate. I would like to wish 
all my family, friends and my readers 
GONG XI FA CAI
with lots of love!! 



39 comments:

  1. QuayPo, Wish you and family a prosperous snaky Year!! staY healthy and pretty!! Gong Hey Fatt Choy!!!^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ah Tee. I wish the same for you and family.

      Delete
  2. Quay Po,
    Happy New Year and Gong Xi Fa Cai to u :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This one really looks good. Suit the entire festive mode too. I am very tempted to give this a try. It looks so good. But it looks like rocket science to me...I might make a mess out of it...let's see what happens. LOL.
    Happy cny to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure when you try this, it will turn out great for you. It is a very simple dish actually. Gong Xi Fa Cai.

      Delete
  4. Qong Xi Fa Cai, Sin Nien Khuai Ler to your dear mum, you, Gary & Nick and all your loved ones wherever they may be. Wishing you all abundant joy, good health and wealth in the coming year! Cheers!!!

    That couscous looks really good. I've a pumpkin in the house... Hmmm...maybe will try after the new year. Too busy right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Arthur. Yes, do try this. I think you will enjoy the dish.

      Delete
  5. Wow! This dish makes me salivating~

    Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family, Quay Po!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy CNY Yvonne. May you stay healthy and pretty and have a great Snake Year.

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a beautiful dish! I love pumpkins, they taste so good when roasted. Quay Po, Gong Xi Fa Cai to you and all at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, roasted pumpkins are awesome. Wish you have a "Huat Huat" Snake Year.

      Delete
  7. What bold and beautiful flavours. They all sound like heaven

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too have the bad habit of procrastinating and then it's too late! Hope you have a happy and properous CNY...Gong Xi Fa Cai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many who does not procrastinate one time or other in their life. I guess to consciously remember not too will help. Happy CNY again.

      Delete
  9. The last few days at the wet market has been crazy. All the aunty and uncle buying their food stuff for CNY. All I want is fishballs for my daughter. LOL!

    Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. I will not go to the wet market if I was given a choice. hahaha but Mum wants to go so I have to send her.

      Delete
  10. Procrastinator ?! I'm one of those lol Re last minute shopping , you should see the situation in this side of the world ! It's just a madhouse esp during the holiday :P Good for the economy though :D

    That couscous sure looks pretty tasty ! Love the presentation ;)

    Wishing you and your family Kung Hei Fat Choi !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. Wishing you and your family a happy Snake Year.

      Delete
  11. This dish is auspicious and sound abundance , of course delicious too.. Wishing you and your family a Happy CNY and Huat Ah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sonia. You "Sow Kung" already? I saw so many fabulous CNY cookies at your blog. You are amazing! Time to relax and enjoy your CNY.

      Delete
  12. Hi Veron, Here wishing you Good health, good luck and much happiness throughout the lunar year. 恭祝健康、幸运,新年快乐!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ann. I wish you the same. Good Health is very important.

      Delete
  13. Hi Veron, wishing you & your QL a very Happy Chinese New Year. I didn't managed to post out any cards this year. Sorry for that! hehe...Hope you & your family will have a blessed 新年. Enjoy & have loads of fun ! :o)
    Best wishes, Kristy ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Kristy. I appreciate that you must be busy preparing for CNY. You can now relax and enjoy the New Year. Hugs Back.

      Delete
  14. Happy Chinese New Year, Quay Po!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wishing you and your family a happy and prosperous New Year! Gong Xi Gong Xi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG this is really good! i'm 'salivating as i'm writing this, Quay Po :)
    Gong xi fa cai to u and family :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got to make this soon if you are:D Happy CNY to you and family.

      Delete
  17. I think I am a habitually incurable procrastinator. I don't like it but I keep hoping that maybe tomorrow I'll be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary, there is a cure for procrastinator. Eat more delicious food! hahaha .. Just kidding.

      Delete
  18. I am a confirmed procrastinator! Hehehe

    Gong Hei Fatt Choy to you and your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are? I don't see that in you:D Happy CNY my dear.

      Delete
  19. Pro-procrastinator here. But luckily not to the point of missing deadlines. Did my reunion dinner shopping the very day too, then again I didn't have to cook a huge feast and I wanted to buy the fish on the day. :)

    I love how you presented the dish, so impressive! It's like the western version of Pineapple fried rice with similar colours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gong Hei fat Choi ! Aunty give me Angpau pls !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Who doesn't procrastinate, though? Sometimes we all need to have a break - but best not to miss deadlines! haha.

    This looks delicious, Quay Po! I love roasted pumpkin! Gong Hei Fatt Choi!! Wishing you a happy + prosperous new year!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!