Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Walker and Turner


It is good that as we grow older, that we sustain our interest in life and various topics. Its good to have a hobby as more of our time frees up, and we aren't as consumed by working. I fear that if we do not have pastimes that sustain our imaginations and thought processes we may risk becoming a walker-and-turner. I know you'll be puzzled by that term. Don't fret too much because I just made it up. The term  comes from a recent market trip with my Mum. When we go there, she shops for the fresh vegetables, spices, and grocery items, while I like to watch the people. Malaysia is blessed to still have our "wet markets" where so much is available in one place from a large variety of sellers. In the U.S. the supermarkets are huge, pristine clean, air conditioned, and filled with all kinds of things to buy, including many non-grocery items. They are convenient, and of course there are people to watch there too, but not quite the cast of characters we can view readily in a Malaysian wet market. 

During the visit I am referring to, I happened to watch an old man as he walked and turned through the market. He was not buying, but simply observing this and that, and appearing rather aimless. I remember thinking, poor uncle, he has nothing to do, really. He should buy some ingredients and take them home to cook something instead of just walking and turning.  Then, I thought I am so fortunate to have found a joy in cooking and baking. It has brought a focus into my life that I hope I never lose. As my Mum and I walked back to the car I thought about the uncle again. Then, I realized that while I was watching him, he was watching others and it occurred to me, how do I know that he wasn't just as engaged as I was with watching the activity and amusing himself with the bustle of the market? It gave me a chuckle that in fact, we may both have been enjoying people watching. It may be that a "Walker and Turner" isn't something so bad after all, as I had hastily thought before. Maybe there is a little "Waker and Turner" in me. LOL!

Still, as we drove away I began to get excited about the dish I was planning to make when we got home. True to form, I brought out the iron and all the ingredients and proceeded to "wok" my way to a delicious dish under the guidance of an original recipe by Chef Janet Yong of "Proud Janny" Restaurant (opening soon at Menara The Weld). I hope you'll agree.

Tamarind prawns
Chef  Jenny Yong’s recipe



Ingredients:
6 prawns with shells
2 tsp tamarind pulp
1 tsp light soy sauce
3 tbs cooking oil
1 tbs honey
1 tsp fish sauce
¼ tsp pepper

Method:
Mix tarmarind pulp with 3 tbs water. Combine with fish sauce, soy sauce, honey and pepper. Wash and clean prawns and then coat them with tamarind mixture and marinate for 15 minutes. Heat oil and stir fry prawns until brown and cooked. Serve immediately.

37 comments:

  1. Very true about the markets here VS the supermarts overseas unless you go to their farmers'or wet markets...but ours are definitely busier and more interesting. Next time you come to Sibu, you must drop by the Central Market - biggest in Malaysia and so very interesting.

    Lovely prawns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes definitely will have to visit the Central Market in Sibu on my next visit. Missed that the last time.

      Delete
  2. Tamarind prawns, alamak, I just threw out my tamarind today, seriously, becoz it is something that I would buy and use once, then waiting to "fatt mou," haha! I love your tamarind prawns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nevermind my dear, you can make this anytime. This is so simple to make.

      Delete
  3. My mouth is watering staring at those giant prawns!
    I actually prefer the real farmer markets with fresh produce instead of supermarkets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, those are just medium prawns but looks huge in the photo:D I love the farmers market in USA but not so much the wet market here actually:D

      Delete
  4. I'm never early enough for wet market in Malaysia, I blame that on our late working lifestyle. I guess people watching can be fun sometimes, I'll admit I'm one of those people who are more absorbed in inaminate objects instead. Hehe. Fabulous looking (and no doubt tasting) prawns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you are not a early person my dear. How can you?

      Delete
  5. Hi QP! You might be absolutely right when you tried to draw a parallel between the uncle and yourself! :) Who knows his wife was somewhere around getting stuff to cook that night while he "walked and turned"? Just like your mummy and you?

    Nice prawn recipe! Would it affect the taste if I de-shell the prawns?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it will affect the taste a bit if de-shelled.

      Delete
  6. Your prawn looks finger licking good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I make this before! but my own recipe not nice at all. I will try your recipe one day! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not my recipe, it is Chef Janet Yong's recipe. I am sure you will enjoy it.

      Delete
  8. Those prawns look wonderful, mu mouth is watering just looking at the photos :-)

    My mother used to watch people, she could do it for hours, she said people were so fascinating.

    Take care both of you Diane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, I don't think anybody who is a seafood lover can resist these yummy prawns. Yes, people watching is a good pass time.

      Delete
  9. The prawns look very yummy!

    I am a people watcher too. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear, I am doing very well. Nice to see you here again.

      Delete
  10. Quay Po, I agree that we should have a hobby or interest to keep us going as the years go by. Or else life would be so boring and our mind and body will degenerate. Your prawns look awesome. I love anything cooked in tamarind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such delicious looking prawns!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Walker-and-Turner,hmmm. I like that term but I like these prawns even more. I am drooling staring at these gorgeous-giant prawns. Look delicious, Quay Po. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The prawns look good.. so juicy! Actually I realise I always see the same uncles and aunties at the wet market, usually they would people watch and just linger around before going to buy their groceries. I think it's a way for them to pass their time too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right my dear:D Very soon, I will be one of those Aunties, going to the wet market wondering about, watch people to pass my time. LOL!

      Delete
  14. At least uncle is still healthy and moving about. As you watched him, he is watching everyone else..haha.. Human nature....curiousity is in everyone. Who knows he is gonna head home for a fiesta of food...lol. Health is the greatest contentment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree 100%. As we grow older, nothing is more important than our health.

      Delete
  15. Seems that the old uncle gave you inspiration for the day.. the tamarind prawns looks so nice.. thinking of the CNY food, I really hope I will be completely well to taste them all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get well soon my dear. What a drag to get sick during CNY.

      Delete
  16. A wonmderful recipe and delicious combination! I love the flavor of tamaring.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosa. It is so good to see you here again.

      Delete
  17. Thanks for dropping by and leave your comment.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!