Monday, January 28, 2013

Did I just graduate?

Did I just graduate? Recently my friend Chef Ryan asked me to assist with a promotion at Carrefour of a brand of acqua culture prawn. The plan was to demonstrate preparing the prawn near the seafood department. I agreed as it sounded like fun, and a new experience. Arriving early at Carrefour Subang Jaya last Sunday, I met up with Chef Ryan to make sure the demonstration was set up. It was then that he said I had to wear a chef’s uniform for the cooking demo. “Me? I am not a chef" I said. To which he replied “Yes you are.”  Okay, if you said so. So I rise into the hallowed halls of "chefdom" and suddenly I think, "its my graduation day"! LOL! But I don't think so. To truly be a chef means considerably more, and of course, I know that. But GOSH it was fun to wear the whites, and prattle on as if I knew something. I think the next step should be a white smock with "Quay Po Cooks" embroidered on the front panel...what do you think?



 
The supermarket was busy with lots of passersby busily going about their shopping. But all it took was the fragrance of the first prawn dish, lemon grass prawn, cooking, and people slowed down.  Many stop and tasted the dish and commented favorably on the quality of the “Pelago” prawns. Several proceeded to buy a box to take home. If you want to know more about “Pelago” prawns, hop over to there website.

I will be doing another cooking demo next Sunday, 3rd February between 2pm to 4pm at Carrefour Subang Jaya. So if you would like to taste the “Pelago” prawns, do drop by and you will be pleased. The taste and texture comes closer to lobster but its best for you to be the judge.  Oh and see me in action which is also free for now. That way you can catch me before I am hauled away by the food network in the sky to become the next Anna Olsen LOL! (Tell me, should I get one of those tall chef hats?)

Actually after tasting "Pelago" prawns last Sunday, I became convinced that fresh frozen prawns can be as tasty as fresh prawns, something my hubby and I have argued about. He says that fresh frozen processors can deliver better quality because the time between harvesting and processing is so short. So I bought a 700g packet home yesterday. It cost RM29.90. I think the price is very reasonable for premium quality prawns. I used some of them to bake a puff pastry for lunch. It was delicious and, as promised, its time to share with my friends. So here goes:

Roasted pepper, basil, ginger prawn puff round



 

Ingredient for sauce:

Juice of a medium orange
zest of the orange
1 medium shallot, finely minced
1 tsp finely minced ginger
12 medium basil leaves, chopped coarsely
1/4 tsp light soy sauce 
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tsp ground cayenne pepper

Method:
Whisk together all the ingredients and add prawns to marinate for 15 minutes.


Ingredients:
1 puff pastry block of your favorite brand

The filling:
1 cup of orange, basil, ginger sauce (see recipe above)
12 marinated "Pelago" prawns, remove shells and devein
1 large sweet pepper, roasted
1 lemon cut into 4 wedges
4 or 5 medium whole leaves basil'
4 cups mozarella cheese, shredded

Method:

Lay pepper pieces on a baking sheet, drizzle lightly with olive oil and roast for approx. 15 minutes until just tender at 200 degrees C. Let it cool and remove the skin. Cut roasted pepper into 2 inches wide strips.

Cut pastry into 4 even quarters, roll out each to a disc approx 6 inches in diameter. Lay the pastry rounds on a lined baking sheet, spread centre with sauce, leaving ¾ in border all round. Top with cheese, roasted peppers, basil leaves and raw prawns. Brush puff pastry with beaten egg. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 190 degrees for 15 to 18 minutes or until prawn is cooked and pastry is golden brown.















37 comments:

  1. , RM30 for 700g is not that expensive considering that fresh big prawns are almost 50bucks and its also coming to cny time. Nw we can call you Chef QP :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, go stock up some for CNY. Please don't call me chef. I am not even near:D

      Delete
  2. Agree with Esther, Chef QP!

    Lately, I'm into frozen seafood too for the same reason that your QL stated. Thanks for sharing, CHEF!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always considered you at the TOP of the Chef food chain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. I think some sea food is better frozen but I am not convinced that all of it is better. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, you are back:D Will pop over to your blog to see your beautiful photos. XOXO

      Delete
  5. Congrats! You're anytime better than many of the chefs around - like how many people are the best in their field even though they may not have the formal paper qualification. Like I always said, those are mere pieces of paper - may be useful as a passport to get a job but how well one does at the job will depend on oneself individually. That puff looks good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, I agree with you about paper qualification. Thanks for always shower me with encouragement. How can I not strive to do better when all my friends are so supportive?

      Delete
  6. What a great little puff pastry! Tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quay Po on cooking demo again, yeah! Love the prawn puff pastry, my son will surely ask for more and more cheese to the filling, haha! Have you finished doing the CNY shopping?New clothes, new shoes, freezer packed with seafood?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, I stop shopping for new clothes and shoes for CNY long time ago. At our age, we shop when we want to and wear new clothes when we feel like it. Cannot wait for CNY lah! hahaha This year, I don't even shop for ingredients to cook the reunion dinner because my eldest nephew is hosting the dinner at a very nice restaurant. He said he wants to give me break:D Nice ha?

      Delete
  8. Well done, Quay Po! Wish I was there to catch you in action. I will check out the frozen prawns. You do look like a qualified chef in that nice uniform :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Phong Hong, knowing that you would want to be there is good enough.

      Delete
  9. congrats! I should get your signature before you become the next Anna Olson! ;)

    missed this Sunday so I will try next Sunday to see you live in action. btw, I have used frozen prawns before and they are good cos I am told that they are frozen as soon as they are caught, so they are infact very fresh and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Yen, come, come, I will give you my signature anytime. Hope to see you this coming Sunday.

      Delete
  10. HELLO Quay Pooooo!!!! Hehehe it has been ages since I last commented but I can't help but to tell you howwww cute and professional u look behind that counter/stove/wok/pan lol! Now im craving for some fresh juicy prawns!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Quay Po I can almost smell the beautiful prawn and lemon grass! I'm sure that the people in the supermarket were very pleased!!! Good luck with your cooking demo experience! It sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, lemon grass are some of my favorite food ingredients. The aroma is so intoxicating.

      Delete
  12. Will you be in Singapore too for demo? If yes, I'm looking forward to meeting you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go to Singapore to visit my friends there but not for demo:D The next time I am there, will give you a thinker so we can meet for lunch or tea.

      Delete
    2. It's an honour to meet you! Looking forward :)

      Delete
  13. Love the prawn puff pastry. I have had both fresh and frozen prawns and I think frozen is fine in cooking but prefer fresh to have cold with shells on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magnolia. Me too love prawns with shells on"D

      Delete
  14. what a lovely recipe, love the photos and you looked great in the chef's uniform too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A delicious recipe, I think I will make it tonight. PS totally go for the embroidered smock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, hope you post your version and let me know how you like the taste.

      Delete
  16. Wow! A chef now huh! You look great! I would love to see you demonstrating if I have the time to go there and maybe grab some delicious sample:D Your prawn pastry looks delicious:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a chef, just a home cook wearing a chef uniform...LOL! Do your boys like prawns, if they do, this is a good one to make for them:D

      Delete
  17. wow chef ;p you look really good in the first picture, and i'm sure those customers were swayed by your delicious cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thans Janine:D They customers were swayed by the prawn itself. They are good quality and affordable.

      Delete
  18. wow, looks like you're really on your way to become the next anna olson! i find you cute in that uniform :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!