Friday, January 11, 2013

Zuan Yuan at The One World Hotel


The first time I received an invitation from Feryal, the Assistant Public Relation Manager of One World Hotel, to taste the food at Zuan Yuan Chinese Restaurant and do a review, I was unable to go because of some prior commitment. The second invitation came at a time when I was less busy so I was able to attend and I am glad I did.

Setting out in my car I didn't bother with the GPS because I thought I knew my way there. First, I overshot the turn into The Curve and then, by the time I adjusted and returned, all I could see was  the Royal Bintang Hotel. No One World Hotel. Oh dear! I have made a mistake again. By then, I was caught in the jam. I quickly pulled to the side of the road and turn on my GPS. Fortunately, with its help I arrived at the hotel on the dot at 6.30pm. PHEW!! Otherwise, I may have become lost again and would have missed all the delicious food!!
Yee Sang with soft shell crab and condiments. The addition of deep fried soft shell crab
was brilliant giving a wonderful mouth feel. The flavor of the sauce was perfect striking a balance between sweet and sour.
Zuan Yuan crispy roasted duck was one of the best dishes of the night. The skin was crispy and
the duck meat was perfectly cooked. It was simply crispy caramel skin over lean but juicy meat, which for me, is exactly what duck should be. Simple, aromatic, and reflecting a light touch with seasoning or spices, allowing the natural husky flavors of the duck to shine through.


Steam Star garoupa with Mandarin orange skin and fresh bean curd. I love the smoothness of
the fresh bean curd and subtle tartness of the Mandarin orange skin in this dish. 


Wok fried tiger prawns with oats and chilli. The deep fried oats adds a nice crunchy texture and
the addition of chili highlighted the fresh briny flavors in the prawns.


Braised abalone with dried oysters and sea moss in "golden" bag. 
I am a big fan of sea moss. A creative and festive dish suitable for Chinese New Year celebrations. 


Steam lotus leaf rice with assorted preserved meat, Chinese sausage and yam. The last dish of the evening and there is very little room for this. The little bit that I tasted was 
delicious. If I had more room, I would have had more.


Pan fried "nian gao" with cheddar cheese. I am not a big fan of pan fried "nian gao" and prefer the deep fried versions. I must have become a traditionalist in my old age. The addition of cheddar cheese in this context seems out of place. However, compliments for the young chef and his sense of adventure. Based on overall execution that sense of adventure is bound to yield new additions to festive Chinese dining. 




The chef for all the delicious food. Meet Chef Woon.

If you guys don't want to bother with cooking a reunion dinner at home, you might want to check their Chinese New Year Menus out. There are three different sets to order from starting from RM1088.00++.  However, I hope you would omit the Shark's fin in the menus and replace it with some other dishes. If no one wants to eat shark's fin, then no restaurants would want to include that in their menus. You might want to read about how to save the sharks at the follwing link.


HERE ARE THE CHINESE NEW YEAR MENUS





I heard from those who have tasted dim sum at Zuan Yuan and have testified as to its goodness. Here is their dim sum menu.



Zuan Yuan Chinese Restaurant
One World Hotel
First Avenue, Bandar Utama City Centre
47800, Petaling Jaya, Selangor,
Malaysia
Tel: 03-76811098

20 comments:

  1. Loved the dishes that night but was unable to eat more than a mouthful except for the the fish. Darn flu and cough had to bug me the whole evening ...till now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The roast duck was really goooood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say no to shark fins! Everything looks really good. :D Hopefully I'll get to taste a CNY menu this year. Last year was pretty sad except for home cooked CNY dinner with friends haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelly, the food there is good and the price rather reasonable. Arthur, point taken!

      Delete
  4. Ahhhh!!!! Wiser now, eh? No photo of the offensive stuff...but it's still on the menu!!! Boycott this place, everybody!!!! Once the demand stops, the killing will too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe.... after scolding, sure become wiser lah!

      Delete
  5. wow, such a nice feast, i love the cereal tiger prawn *slurp*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cereal prawns gives a really good mouthfeel. I love the crunch of the oats.

      Delete
  6. That looks like an amazing spread!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha! You crack me up, Quay Po! Glad you managed to get there because the food looks + sounds delicious! Oh I always have pan-fried nian go - that's how we eat our CNY one, dip in egg + panfry =) Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CC, I like it to be deep fried sandwiched with sweet potato and yam. You too have a beautiful Sunday.

      Delete
  8. We had our company dinner there 2 years ago and I must say we enjoyed ourselves very much....this year the menu looks even more tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So are you going to have your company's dinner there this year?

      Delete
  9. LOL...Lucy time again? Good that you managed to find the hotel else miss out on all these delicious food. well written review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe, Lucy time most of the time, Lucy don't take off very often.

      Delete
  10. Quay Po,
    Everything looks so good.
    Love the roasted duck and the prawns.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mui, the food there are delicious but just hope they will omit the shark fin from the menus.

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!