Friday, January 25, 2013

I don't burn bridges


I am often told by my mum not to burn bridges.  I woukd hear that advice most often when I was changing jobs. My mother always reminded me not say anything about my ex employer unless it is positive. She reminds me often not to say anything unless it is positive about friends, fellow emplloyees, and acquaintenances.  So for all my life, I heeded her advice and I kept in touch with all my ex bosses, ex colleagues, ex business partners, and ex customers. My Mom was right. A large list of friends (they like to call this our "contacts") can be a store house of advice, or knowledge that you wouldn't have otherwise. Even more compelling they can be there for help, provided that you are willing to be the helper too.  For example, when I told my one of my ex colleagues who is now the marketing manager of a local company, that my son was looking for a job, she immediately said that she could take him in. Unfortunately my son did not like to do sales and left the organization within the probation period, but I will always feel grateful too her for extending the opportunity.  In another example, I recently needed to buy some new mattresses for a condo we were renovating, I got a generous discount from one of my ex customers who is part owner of an established brand. Burning bridges is the perfect metaphor. We can immediately recognize that we cut off an avenue and instantly grasp that it is better to hold close. When there are many rivers to cross during our life times, it is far better to cross a bridge than to swim. Don't you agree?

Just recently one of my ex bosses, Dato Aru Suppiah, whom I have allways held in high esteem and one of the people in my life that I have allways felt grateful to know, celebrated his BIG 60. He invited me and my Quay Lo to his birthday party.  For many years I've kept in touch with him, long  after I left his company.

His party was held in our favorite Italian restaurant, Nero Vivo. We ave always loved the food and service of this restaurant but alas on this evening it was short of the mark. Most likely iit was due to the big party of over a hundred guests.

The set up
The Menu

The meal we had (sorry about the quality of the pics, these
were taken with my iphone)


We were delighted to be able to share this very special moment of his and it was yet another lesson in cherishing your friends forever. Be ready to give back in times of need, and never ever burn a bridge. Mum got that one right!

At the party, I told Dato Aru that I now have my own food blog and one of these days, I would love to cook for him.  The following dish will be one to consider. This simple recipe produces an aromatic beef lovers ecstasy.

Braised beef tri-tip




INGREDIENTS
1kg beef tri-tip
1 can dark beer such as Guiness
beef stock, enough to cover meat
2 tbs oil

Rub Ingredients (enough for a 2 kg meat)
1 tbs sea salt
1 tbs ground black pepper
1 ½  tbs minced garlic
1 tbs minced shallot
1 tbs cayenne
1 tbs chopped fresh thyme
1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbs chopped sage

METHOD
Mix the rub ingredients together in a bowl.  Sprinkle the rub on the meat on all sides, and massage the rub into the meat. Cover and let sit at room temp for an hour. Heat oil in dutch oven on high heat, sear all sides of the meat. Remove it from the dutch oven and set aside. Deglazed beer. Return the meat into the dutch oven and add beef stock till just covered meat. Place dutch oven into the preheated oven at 150 degrees C. Braise for 3 hours. Transfer braised beef tri tip to cutting board and let stand for 15 minutes before cutting and serve with your favorite steam vegetables or roasted vegetables.

20 comments:

  1. Oooo...nice party! Yes, don't bother looking back at the bridges we're burning - we will never get it back and nothing's ever gonna change. Live for the present and look forward to the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, I always agree with you advice because you are a wise man.

      Delete
  2. Good morning from Singapore Veronica!! :p

    Just look at those fine lines on the juicy tender beef! I'm having my brekkie now but my favourite croissant has to be put aside to "eat" this slice first, it's simply yummilicious looking good! I'm drooling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim:D so good to see you here. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. Quay Po, I love your blouse! You are stylish as always :) Love the beef, will try it one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phong Hong. I bought that blouse from a boutique in Taman Mayang. They have nice dresses there and usually one piece each design. I wish I have the address.

      Delete
  4. Good on you Mum - good advice indeed. Love the look of this beef.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although my mum did not go to school, she is wiser than many who are highly educated in my opinion. I am blessed to have her with me.

      Delete
  5. Coincidentally I met one ex-colleague in the eatery shop where I went this morning..she is now 70 years but still look much the same when she retired 15 years back! Hope I can still look the same when I am 70.. hahaha... Anyway, yes, it is great to keep in touch with our old friends.. make no enemies by humbling ourselves..
    Lastly and not least, the braised beef looks very "juicy!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, you do not need to wish cos you don't look your age. You are going to grow old gracefully. When we both go into our 70s, we will still sing and dance when whenever we meet ok?

      Delete
  6. The beef looks good... and your mum is certainly right! It's better to be friends with everyone than enemies... life is too short.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes my mum is right. Mums are right most of the time.

      Delete
  7. Mum is right again!! veron, your pork dishes are always memorable, i am still thinking of your pull pork recipe. This would be perfect using AMC, can shorten the cooking time by one third. I hv all the rub ingredients, just need to get the meat. Where can i go to get tri tip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either thanks Esther, looking forward to see you post on pull pork. Perhaps with your own twist:D

      Delete
  8. What a tasty looking dish!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!