Sunday, January 9, 2011

Frosted Chocolate Peanut Butter Brownie

Posted by Quay Lo:
There are many recipes for a peanut butter brownie on the internet and I won’t claim that this one is the best. However, this recipe is a very quick and easy approach that yields a delicious result and it is one that we guessed at as we went along. We were challenged to come up with a worthy dessert recently, but were given very short notice. We had little time on our hands to prepare. This is the result of starting with a boxed brownie mix and ending with a far richer and more interesting dessert.

The box recipe called for adding 2 eggs, ¼ cup water, and ½ cup vegetable oil. Stir all, bake at 350°F (175°C) for 40 minutes, and joila!...a very quick pan of brownies. This would yield, according to the instructions on the box, the “fudgy” version of the branded mix. There was also a cake-like version that called for 3 eggs, instead of two. Here is our version:

You will need:
A medium mixing bowl, a food processor or blender, a small bowl, a mixing fork, a measuring tablespoon, a rubber spatula, and an 8 inch by 8 inch baking pan, slightly oiled. For the frosting you will need a whisk, and a “bain marie” or a 1 quart sauce pan, and a metal bowl that fits in the mouth of the sauce pan such that an inch of water in the pan does not touch the bowl.
Ingredients:
One box of your favorite brownie mix
¾ cup smooth peanut butter 1/2 cup chopped walnuts 1 egg 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil 1 cup water
(for the topping see below)
Instructions for the brownies:
Set oven to 350°F (175°C)
Slightly oil an 8” by 8” baking pan and set aside. Place dry mix and walnuts in a medium mixing bowl.
Into a food processor add:
¾ cup smooth peanut butter
2-4 tablespoons cooking oil (or peanut oil if you have it)
Pulse until well mixed (using the third and fourth tablespoon of oil if needed) Remove contents to the mixing bowl that already holds the dry mix from the box.
In a small bowl, stir one egg with a fork and add to the mix.
From a cup of water, start by adding 3 tablespoons of the water to the mix and stir, adding spoonfuls of water as needed until the mix is well blended, (but not so liquid as to be pourable) Avoid using a whisk or an electric mixer. Instead use a mixing fork and avoid adding any air to the mix by a using a slower, more deliberate motion.
Using a spatula, transfer the contents of the mixing bowl to the oiled 8” by 8” baking pan, spreading evenly across the pan.
Bake at 350° F (175°C) for 35 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to completely cool.
Ingredients and instructions for the frosting:
In a one quart sauce pan add 1 inch of water. Select a metal mixing bowl that fits on top of the sauce pan without touching the water below. At medium high heat, boil the water.
When the water is boiling place the metal bowl on top and add:
2 ounces (60 grams) of dark chocolate, broken into pieces
2 tablespoons of chili oil (this really punches up the frosting. Don't worry, it won't be a spice burn.)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon of thick cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 heaping tablespoons of icing (powdered) sugar
Whisk ingredients together until the chocolate is melted and the ingredients well blended.
Remove the metal bowl and whisk briskly for 30 more seconds, incorporating air. Cover and set aside until completely cooled.
Notes: This should yield a shiny, thin frosting that spreads easily and should cover the baked brownie mix with a frosting that is approximately 1/4 inch (.75 cm) thick. If you want more adjust accordingly. Pictured is a 1/2 recipe version as we prefer less frosting.
We plated this with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream and a maraschino cherry, and used some of the cherry syrup to splash around for color.

39 comments:

  1. That sounds heavenly...can't wait to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm a sucker for marshmallows!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love chocolate so I know I will love these. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quick and delicious...it's perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious brownie, love the peanut butter in them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so mouth-watering, slurp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There IS not a better flavore combination in my book than peanut butter and chocolate. Just made that ice cream combo and it was great as I know these brownies are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These would soothe a sweet tooth any day. Who can resist a peanut butter and chocolate brownie? Definitely not me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simple and delicious which is my mantra for January. Plus - never met a brownie recipe I didn't like and I certainly love this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chocolate and peanut butter? How could you when I'm trying to be so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Stitch,

    thank you for sharing your version of the brownie recipe. this looks perfect with the scoop of vanilla bean ice cream. this is the second chocolate post i've come across today and now i'm in the mood not just for chocolate, but ice cream too. i really need to stop food blogging so late at night...teehee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks David, you must try, of course, on days when you can feel guilt free. I have been eyeballing them all day now and its almost dinner time.I think I'll make it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Belinda, by all means, try some marshmallows in yours, I think that might yield and interesting black and white contrast. However, the white you see in these brownies are large chunks of walnuts (because I was too lazy to chop them).

    ReplyDelete
  14. yummy, based on your id, I would have to guess these are perfect for you. I love chunks in deserts, whether they be chocolate bits, or fruit, or nuts. Many thanks for dropping a note.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Diane, I am simply gob smacked when someone says they do not like chocolate. It is...a sort of culinary apostasy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nancy & Vijay, there used to be a restaurant in Bridgeport, near 31st & Halstead, called the Governor's Table. I wonder if it is still there? Two things I remember most were the big manhattans & martinis from the bar, and the opulent brownie ala mode covered in a sinful toffee sauce. Just thinking about my days in Chicago makes me drool. Greek town, Chinatown on Sunday mornings, Lincoln Park and restaurants with revolutionary ideas about food, and in my neighborhood (63rd & Naragansett) so many perogi, and sausages. Oh dear, now I am starving. What a wonderful city.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cheah and Tanna, shall I pass you a napkin?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Boulder Locavore and Bridgett, thanks and I could not agree more. Peanut Butter and Chocolate are natural soul mates in the culinary pantheon. The little surprise here is the addition of a slight amount of chili which puts the trumpet into this music. I guess the chocolate-chili swilling Aztecs really had it figured out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Claudia, I love simpler foods and simpler kitchen work. It would be just fine as a year long resolution. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rhonda, so sorry to tempt you. Just remember what Eric Zorn said:
    "Making resolutions is a cleansing ritual of self assessment and repentance that demands personal honesty and, ultimately, reinforces humility. Breaking them is part of the cycle."

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lequan, you are right to point out that foodie blogging late at night is dancing on the edge. And I confess....I fail badly. Last night I was asking "Quaypo" if we had any thawed out stuffing left. I cannot imagine why I was overcome by a stuffing "jones" at 1 am in the morning. As Charlie Brown would say...."arrrrrgh!" or..as Confuscious would say..."Aiyoh!"

    ReplyDelete
  22. chocolate and PB in a brownie...fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am loving the sound of these! And especially with that ice cream on top!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love peanut butter in brownies - and I love that pic with the cherry on top, it's so cute :)

    Thanks for commenting on my blog also.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Never tried PB in my brownies. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kate, Steph, Emma,Sugar free low cab and Moogie, thanks for dropping by and take time to leave your comments. Hope to visit with you guys often share our cooking adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm really digging the addition of the chili oil.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just drooled on the keyboard!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Gotta love the chocolate and peanut butter combination :) Not to mention how easy these are! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love your presentation - and love the idea of peanut butter in a brownie!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I don't know if these are the best, but they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  32. On behalf of Stitch, I thank you all for dropping by and leave your comments. Wishing you all a wonderful week! For those who are going to celebrate Chinese New Year, look forward to read your CNY cookies recipes and Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have never used a brownie mix. It sure looks very easy and quick to make especially when you need a dessert badly and don't have time to start from scratch.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Chocolate peanut butter is one of my favorite combinations. These look wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  35. Mary: We always keep a box or two of brownie mix in our pantry.

    The Food Hunter: Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!