Friday, January 28, 2011

Sweet Sour Chicken for CNY instead of a whole chicken? - Featured at Dishfolio on 31 Jan 2011 & at Group Recipes Best of the Week

For my Chinese New Year reunion dinner, I usually have another variation of chicken dish in addition to the steam chicken which my family likes.  This is because Stitch is not crazy about the steam chicken.  The past years, I have made Lemon Chicken which is his favorite. This reunion I am including this dish in my menu for a change. How about you? How do you prepare yours?






 
This dish was featured in Asian Food Channel (Official) Facebook page
on 25th September 2012

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 lb. chicken breast (cut into bite size pieces)

1/2 green bell pepper, cut into pieces
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into pieces

2 stalks scallions, only the white part, cut into 2 inch length
1/4 fresh pineapple, cut into small pieces
1 tsp garlic, finely chopped,
1 tbs vegetable oil

MARINATE FOR THE CHICKEN:
(A)
1 teaspoon soy sauce

1/2 teaspoon corn flour

1/2 teaspoon rice wine

BATTER TO COAT THE CHICKEN:
(B)
1/2 cup water

2 oz. all-purpose flour

1 oz. corn starch

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 egg

1 teaspoon cooking oil

1 small pinch of salt
½ tsp vanilla

SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE:
(C)
1 1/2 tbs tomato ketchup

1 tsp plum sauce

1/8 tsp Chinese rice vinegar
1/2 tsp Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce

1 tsp oyster sauce

1 tsp corn starch

1 tsp sugar

2 tbs water

METHOD:
Marinate chicken breast pieces with (A) for 30 minutes. Mix (B) to form a thick batter and set aside. When the chicken is well marinated, add them into the batter and have them all well coated. In a deep wok, add in oil enough for deep-frying. Once the oil is hot, deep fry the chicken breast pieces until they turn golden brown. Dish out and drain on paper towels. Heat up the wok again and add in some oil. Add chopped garlic and stir fry until fragrant, followed by the bell peppers and pineapple pieces. Stir fry until you smell the peppery aroma from the peppers before adding in the (C). As soon as the sauce thickens, add the already deep fried chicken breast pieces into the wok and stir well with the sauce. The last thing to add in is the white part of the spring onion. Mix well, and transfer to serving plate. This is delicious to serve with steamed white rice.

29 comments:

  1. Owh my!!! Irresistible S&S Chicken...am so drooling right now! Perfect dish with rice now..;)

    Any sub for rice wine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. rosaria: It is one the simplest dish to make and it is very tasty too. Hope you will try this out sometime. Thanks for your visit.

    Love2cook: If you are talking about non alcoholic substitute, just apple juice or white grape juice and Pale dry Sherry or dry white wine for alcoholic substitute will do the same trick.

    Rosaria & Love2cook: Did you know I have some earrings which I made to giveaway for Valentine's Day? Do join in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet and sour dish is always my fav but my husband said this is only suitable for Quaylo only. LOL! I would prefer this dish rather than a whole chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the sauce gorgeously coats the chicken and veggies. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is incredible!! Better than anything in a restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photos! Your sauce looks perfect and the colors are so vibrant:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am also drooling over the sauce! It looks so delicious on top of the entire dish... YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I actually may be able to cook this. Thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this sweet and sour chicken. Very delicious, good for CNY too, for the vibrant colours bring more festive mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i really like sweet and sour dishes and yours looks fantastic. great colours with the red and green bell peppers. this is a great substitution for the steamed chicken. thank you for sharing this, Quay Po. I'll have to bookmark this one and give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. well, i think i'm going to steam it like the traditional way yeah, the whole chicken and probably making some braised ones too on other days. I know the sweet sour chicken can be so appetising and am sure your quay lo loves this very much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sweet and sour is always my favourite dish. Your looks very delicious. It's definitely a great item for Chinese New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there,

    Thanks for dropping and commenting on my blog. Your story is interesting as well !

    Happy cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing recipe :) thanks for it :) I just had this chicken today in Chinese restaurant, but I think it ould be even better to make it at home

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I just love and hope to learn more about the beautiful food you make! This chicken looks divine...I cook Italian food and sometimes feel intimidated by Chinese recipes that I'm not familiar with, but you have inspired me to try! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks delicious. I will make this the next time I feel myself trying to order it from the Chinese restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Zoe: My mum said the same thing as your husband.

    Bridgett: Me too. Rice coated with the sauce is delicious.

    Belinda, Cake Duchess, Kate, Jess, Mary: Thanks for your kind words.

    Lequan: I am happy to know you like this dish and bookmarked it.

    Lens: I agree that steam whole chicken traditional way is the usual way of preparation for CNY.

    Mrs. K: I have no doubt you can:D

    Chaokor: you are welcome. Thanks for your visit.

    Medeja: i believe all food taste better home cooked.

    Vivian: don't be. Start with stir fry, it is very easy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Christine: ya, this dish is colorful especially the red capsicum makes it appropriate for Chinese New Year. We Chinese love everything red for all happy occasions.

    Yummychunklet: please do because it will taste better:D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks really good! Perfect to go with rice..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looks delicious and color. sure it taste great too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Veronica-I remember making the sweet and sour chicken, and pork in the seventies, and eighties, when it was so very popular, but I cannot find my old recipe.
    Your recipe is so perfect, the method of preparation, so precise, and the way you presented it is simply gorgeous!
    Will be printing this recipe out.
    Thanks for sharing...enjoy the CNY!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your dish sounds delicious Quay. Healthy, flavorful and simple too. Thanks for charing and Happy Lunar New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh wow! This looks amazing! I love all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is fabulous. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Zoe & QuaypoCooks - Please pass to your respective Hubby and Mum that this 'quaylo' agrees. All for ME!! (^^,)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kate: How did I miss your comment? Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Hope to see you again soon and sorry for the late reply.

    mycooking hut, Elisabeth, Rebecca, Lisa, Heather, Food Frenzy: Thanks for your comments, they are so encouraging and I promise I will cook more nice dishes to share with you.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!