Friday, January 14, 2011

Saffron Risotto


I got this risotto recipe from my hubby but I took the liberty to add ginkgo nuts, steamed asparagus and herb sausages to the risotto. I garnished it with chopped spring onions. I had mine with some “Chilli padi” and it was a very satifying one dish meal! 



Ingredients:
1/2 litre (I pint) chicken stock
40 g (1 oz) butter for the vegetables
2 tbs olive oil
1 medium onion finely diced
1 clove garlic minced
1 stalk celery, chopped
230 g (8 oz) risotto rice
8 oz dry white wine
110 g (4 oz)) Asiago cheese (you can sub with aged parmesan or Romano but Asiago will be consistently more creamy)
40g (1 oz) butter for the rice
1/2 tsp chopped saffron

Directions:
Begin heating the chicken stock in a pan. In a frying pan add 40 g of butter & olive oil and heat on medium flame. When the oil is hot add the diced onion, the garlic, and the celery and fry for two minutes. When the vegetables are soft, and before they begin to brown, add the rice and turn flame up to high. As the rice begins to cook, add the dry wine. Keep stirring until the wine is cooked through the rice.   Turn down heat to medium low. Add ladles of chicken stock, one at a time, allowing each addition to be absorbed while stirring and pressing the rice. The mixture should be taking on the creamy consistency of great risottos. Taste test to determine if cooked and continue working the rice in the pan until smooth and fully cooked. Turn off flame and add the cheese, butter and the saffron continuing to stir until all is incorporated into the rice. Remove from stove top and place lid on the pot.

Serves two generously

Note: an interesting version of this recipe omits 1 tbs of the olive oil and the saffron and adding 1 1/2 tbs of truffle oil

Recommendation: Serve with Chicken, Italian sausages, or veal cutlet and a bottle of chilled Pinot Gris (Grigio).

16 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love this type of rice, especially with chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum, you always post the most tempting recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Colorful dish - and healthy for you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I've never cooked with saffron, but I bet this would be a good recipe to start!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saffron gives beautiful color, this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your risotto looks so nice and sunny :) I like all kinds of risotto, what I like about this one is that there is celery in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a huge fan of risotto, I mean huge fan...saffron makes it even more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks amazing!
    I really love saffron. I used to put saffron in cheese rissoto. I will try this recipe also :)
    Tnx for comment on my blog :)
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abby: Risotto was introduced to me by my Quaylo hubby. I love it since then.

    David, Belinda, yummychunklet, Swathi, Rhonda: You guys are such great foodie friends. I appreciate your comments and love your visits.

    Medeja: Welcome to my blog and look forward to more of your visits and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been meaning to make a saffron risotto for ages. It looks heavenly! I have no idea what ginkgo nuts taste like... I've only had ginkgo tea before!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle: Thanks for checking out my blog and leave your comment. I appreciate it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alina: Ginkgo nuts have a nutty, slightly bittersweet flavor and a punchy-soft texture. I am sure you will like it. Thanks for your visit and hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks delicious and it sounds easy to make as well. Thanks for sharing. I have a similar recipe with saffron you might want to check out: http://dreamsofcakes.wordpress.com/?s=saffron
    I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Efty, I have checked out your recipe...looks great:D Thanks for giving me the link.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully healthy! I have yet to be able to cook a proper risotto:(

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!