Friday, June 24, 2011

You are Once, Twice, Three times a PUFF and I love you!

I have wanted to make durian cream puff for a long time.  Now it is durian season in Malaysia and since I have some really nice durian on hand, I decided to stop procrastining and just do it. 

I got mini pancakes instead of cream puff for my first attempt. I followed the recipe to the T. I had no clue what went wrong. Instead of throwing food away, I made mini pancake sandwich with durian cream filling out of it.  My sister in law loved them and said the taste was very good so I gave them all to her. Sorry, I forgot to take pictures because I was disappointed with the result.

The second time, I used another recipe from taste.com but I misread the measurement on flour. Oh yes, user error, or can I blame it on my spectacles instead?  I got puffs but they were not soft enough. I went ahead filling them up and ate them anyway. I hate wasting food. Since there was cream in the filling, my mum would not eat them. Poor Quay Po got to eat durian cream puff for breakfast, lunch and dinner all by herself for the next few days.


puff from my second attempt
IMG_7811qpc

This is featured on Asian Food Channel (Official) Facebook Page
on 25th June 2012

You might think that after having cream puffs coming out of my ears, I will stay away from it for months, right? Oh no, as soon as I ate the last piece, I tried making them again, Hooray! the third attempt was a SUCCESS!


As I was watching these puffs rising in the oven, I heard this song playing on the radio, “Three times a lady”. So I sang along but instead of singing “ You are Once, Twice, Three times a lady and I love you”, I sang “You are Once, Twice, Three times a PUFF and I love you!”  That was how happy I was with the result of my bake. LOL!


I shared some with my neighbor and she told me they enjoyed the puffs very much and asked what kind of durian I used for the filling. I told her I used "Musang King" durian and she thinks I am crazy!  For Westerners who are not familiar with durians, "Musang King" durian is one of the best grade of durians and originally came from the highlands of Pahang, the largest state in Peninsular Malaysia. They are rather expensive, the market price is about RM50.00 per kilo (approx. US$13.00).  This durian is so famous and tasty that the Macau gambling tycoon, Stanley Ho, had chartered his private jet to buy 88 "Musang King" durians for RM4800.00!!  It is incredible what the rich and famous will do when money is no object.


the preparation
puff before filling
IMG_7843qpc
puff with the durian filling
IMG_7860qpc
Note: you may find that the durian cream filling is not smooth in the photo, that was because I used only pureed durian pulps because my mum does not like the cream. This give a very rich durian taste. If you prefer a smoother filling, please use the durian cream filling instead of pureed durian pulps.


Durian cream puff

Choux Pastry
Adapted from www.taste.com.au

Ingredients:
Make about 15 profiteroles

80ml (1/3 cup) water
40g butter, at room temperature, cubed
50g (1/3 cup) plain flour, sifted
2 eggs, at room temperature

Method:
Place water and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until butter melts and mixture just comes to the boil.
Add all the flour to the butter mixture at once and use a wooden spoon to beat until well combined. Place over low heat and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture forms a ball and begins to come away from the side of the saucepan. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Whisk 1 egg in a small bowl and set aside. Whisk the remaining egg in a small bowl, then add it to the flour mixture, beating well with a wooden spoon. Gradually add a little of the reserved egg and beat until the mixture just falls from the spoon but still holds its shape.

Preheat oven to 195°C. Brush a baking tray with oil to lightly grease. Spoon 15 – 16 heap teaspoonsful of the mixture onto tray, about 3cm apart. Alternatively, use a pastry bag fitted with a 1.5cm-diameter plain piping nozzle to pipe the profiteroles onto the baking tray. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until the profiteroles are puffed and golden.

Remove from oven. Using a skewer or a small knife, pierce the base (or top) of each profiterole to release the steam. Return the profiteroles to the oven and leave them for 5 minutes to dry out. Remove the profiteroles from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Notes:
When making choux, cut the butter into small pieces so it melts quickly and evenly, reducing the amount of water that evaporates.
All the flour must be added at once so it cooks evenly. Beat vigorously until the mixture is smooth and comes away from the side of the pan. Do not over-beat.
Set the mixture aside to cool slightly so the eggs don't cook when they are beaten in.
The amount of egg required varies with each batch. It depends how big the eggs are and how much egg the flour absorbs. Too much egg will make the choux rise unevenly and spread. Not enough egg and the choux will be stodgy.

Durian cream fillings
Adapted from Baking Mum

Ingredients:
125 ml of non-diary whipping cream
equivalent amount of durian pulps
5 gm of gelatine powder
1/2 tbs of hot water to dissolve gelatine powder

Method:
Whip up whipping cream to a soft peak. Add in durian pulps and melted gelatine powder and mix well. Put fillings in a piping bag and pipe it out into the baked choux pastry. If you like, you can just spoon the fillings into the pastry too. Dust the top of the pastry with some snow powder and leave it in fridge to chill before serving.


37 comments:

  1. Perfectly gorgeous puffs! But this is one filling I'll run away from ... not into durians, thank goodness ... so expensive?! I remember my parents used to go for those teeny tiny ones where they only have one or two pieces in it. They claim it's good ... I'll just take their word for it :D Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw!!This is what I'm planning to bake.Durian cream puffs is our favourite!!Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute! I love cream puffs but have never thought to include any kind of fruit or flavoring other than sweetened cream. This durian version looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great! I actually like durian!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so enchanted to see the title of your post! Such an original idea. I lived in Singapore for some time which is where I tried durian. I was warned by local friends 'most caucasians don't take durian'; true, it's unlike anything I've tried. I so love the idea of this and certainly cream puffs are a challenge. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoah soooo beautiful!! & 100% durian fillings specially for your mum~~ you are really filial =)

    I always love the way you title your blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Great puffs! I'm glad have come across these puffs on your blog. I tried a few times to make cream puffs a few years ago but failed all the times and I gave up at last. I don't have much knowledge in baking so I don't know what's gone wrong. I love your durian puffs and may be I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my god!! How Brilliant!! Choux with durian filling. It's like a velvety trip around the sweet clouds no 9. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Veronica,

    I absolutely LOVE durian. Not sure if I've had the Musang King durian before. Ice tried two different kinds in Vietnam though. My Momused to make these cream puffs. Don't know why she stopped making them. Your cream puffs look adorable and perfect. I know how wonderful these taste. This is definitely one of my favorite recipes that you've posted. Teehee. Smelly goodness :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Veron,
    I made choux puffs today, yes, just finished baking 2 hours ago, haha, and made durian custard cream yesterday, yes, durian. LOL. The durian custard cream is meant to be stuffed into the choux balls later today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Quay Po,
    You have a very nice blog. I love cream puffs also. BTW, the largest state in Malaysia should be Sarawak. Pahang is the largest state in Semenanjung Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is it durian season now? How come I didn't see it along the streets yet? Hmm...I must start wandering around to find the good ones! Yum, I love durian puffs too! I would prefer the durian fillings to be mixed with whipped cream too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hai is a satisfacion belong to your blog, I love learning new recipes I like flavors and colors, I'll follow through from VIGO SPAIN share friendship and what we like to cook. I invite you to share my recipes and blog, hugs Marimi

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love durian and you've reminded me that I've not post any durian bakes this year. Must get some durian asap.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Durian is my favourite, but I have yet to try Musang King yet. I used to buy durian puff from a small stall in Mid Valley because I'm too lazy to make my own, hehe. Yours look tempting la, I want to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great durian puffs! I love durian and this is a great way of using them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Can make different type of durian puffs!
    Musang King Puffs, Ang Heh Puffs, Durian Kunyit puffs.....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oiyo, Musang KIng's puff~~~ I think, we won't have any chances to try dis at any puff stores!! ONly available from homemade, it's a great honor to be ur neighbour!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very creative, a French/Malaysian fusion! That must be one good durian is Stanley Ho uses his private jet for transportation!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're so funny...those durn spectacles...I hate wasting food too. The final did turn out perfect! I have never tried fresh durian before, just had durian candy. You puff look golden and perfect! NICE!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's been years since I last ate durians...don't know why I stopped eating them lol! Your puffs looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh durian- you are singing out for me.. I can hear it..

    these puffs look soo spiffy and soft..fluffy.. ahhh

    ReplyDelete
  23. You either hate it or you love it. Like really love it. You and I, fortunately, are loving it! Excellent puffs!
    Jun@indochinekitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love cream puff! But frankly speaking, I've never tried with durian filling. Definitely, a must try! :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never tasted durian - I've always been too scared! These puffs look really delicious though. Thanks for visiting my blog: yours looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! I would never have thought of such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My friend always raves about durian but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a lovely blog you have and what delectable puffs you have shared today. I have never heard of durian before but it sounds intriguing.

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    I would just LOVE for you to play the Picnic Game but, I'm so sorry to say the only letter left is X. I do hope you will be able to come up with something Xtraordinary to bring:) We would just LOVE to have you!!! Louise

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh delicious! I made creme puffs for the first time a few week ago. They were good...but they didn't look as pretty as these do! Thank you for sharing your creativity and love with me. I am leaving with such a wide smile on my face. I hope you are having a joy-filled weekend. Much love from Austin!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My, goodness, this looks so good! It's also good to know there are others who will admit that they make several tries at making something until they get it the way they want it. That's the way it works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are picture perfect; I remember making these years ago; you are giving me the urge to try again.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  32. Rita: Ya, do try again, this is a good choux recipe.

    Lois: Yes we are tenacious aren't we?

    Monet: Good to see you again. I always leave your blog with a wide smile too. Love your story and all your yummy bakes.

    Louise: Thanks for dropping by and also for accepting me in the picnic game. The post will be up soon. I will keep you posted.

    That Girl: Be brave, durians don't bite, they poked only hehehe

    Jana: Now you know, try it:D

    Foodycat: You are welcome, nice to meet you.

    Selba: If you like durian then you will love this.

    Andie: I cannot agree more with you, this is definitely a love/hate affair just like me with parmesan cheese.

    daphne: So can I enter the American Idol contest now? hehe

    Lyndsey: My mum said I am the bad carpenter who always blame his tools.

    Three-cookies: Oh you gave me an idea, I have a girlfriend who married French, the next time I go to her house for dinner, I am going to make this for her.

    Ah Tee: Where do you stay? The next time I make, I can send some over to you.

    Pete: Surely can.

    Jeannie: I notice some people just stop eating them, just like my son. He loves it when he was a little boy but now he does not eat it at all.

    Lily: I think so too but for some durian lovers, they disagree, they said eating durian fresh is the best.

    Min: that's where I started to dream about making this durian puff. My sister in law brought those back for me and said she got it from Mid Valley, probably the same shop as you got yours.

    Ann: Look forward to your post.

    Marimi: Thanks for your visit. Will check you blog out to see your yummy recipes.

    Delia: Thanks for the correction. I did left out the word Peninsular, correction done:D

    Wendy: Will go stalk your blog now.

    LeQuan: Can you get durian easily at your end? What recipe did your mum used? Please ask her to make again and share with us her recipe.

    PFx: You are right, when I eat them I was at Cloud 9 for sure.

    An unreachable dream: I hope you will be successful with this recipe.

    Passionate about baking: Ya durian cream is smoother.

    Coraine: Thanks for your kind words. I love my mum more than my life. I will give anything to see her healthy and happy.

    Boulder Locavore: It was a challenge for me but I am glad I did it:D

    Nobel4lit: Do try this recipe out my dear, you won't regret it.

    yummylittlecooks: Look forward to see your version of durian puffs.

    Ping: Your parents are right, I remember the tiny weenie ones my dad used to bring back home and they are AWESOME! Last time, there is no D4, D24 or Musang King.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Rita: Good try again when you find some nice durian:D I will definitely make this every durian season. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I do make cream puffs every now and then, but would never have thought to put durian in one. You can tell from a ways off when durian have arrived at our farmer's market. The smell has always put me off, but one of these days I'll give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  35. We are featuring your cream puffs. Come on over and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've always thought it was quite a tough thingy to make and never bothered with looking for recipes. Looks like I am so wrong...must go make soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is quite simple to make, just that you have have to get the right consistency of your choux pastry.

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!