Sunday, November 21, 2010

Braised carrots & grapes - Thanksgiving & Christmas side dish - Featured at Group Recipes

This is always one of our Christmas side dishes. The first year of Christmas that my hubby spent in Malaysia, he made this side dish for our Christmas dinner with my family and they all loved it. It quickly became a tradition and there has never been a Christmas that there are any leftovers. The color and the fragrance of this dish fits perfectly into Thanksgiving and Christmas celebration feasts. My hubby told me that he learned this dish from a young sous chef who was a neighbor when he lived in an apartment in Chicago many years ago.






Ingredients:


250 gm baby carrots

250 gm red and green seedless grapes

1 tbsp butter

¼ tsp salt
  
1 tbsp brown sugar

¼ tsp ground cinnamon



Method:

Wash and peel carrots. Blanch the carrots in boiling water for 5 mins, drain and put aside. Heat butter to a slight sizzle in a pan, (be careful not to burn) add carrots, turning them to completely coat with butter. Sprinkle with salt. Cover pan and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes or until carrots are almost tender; turning them occasionally. Add grapes, brown sugar and cinnamon. Stir and cook slowly for an additional 5 minutes on medium heat. Taste for extra seasoning if necessary. Serve hot.

23 comments:

  1. This sounds like an amazing combination. Fantastic photo. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane,
    Thanks. You are so kind as always:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie,
    Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate very much. You started to plan your Christmas meal menu yet? This is a perfect side dish:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an interesting combination. I love the colour of the dish :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Quay Po,

    This is such a great idea to add grapes. My kids would enjoy this as they like carrots and grapes. The perfect side dish for them. I'm bookmarking this one. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zoe,
    Yes, I am with you, the color is attractive, very Christmacy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lequan,
    I am sure the kids will like it but maybe you might want to omit the cinnamon if you make for your kid:D Kids might like the spicy fragrance of cinnamon:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delish. I've never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am loving the addition of the grapes. and any dish that does not garner any leftovers is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love colourful food, I just posted something else that's savoury but also adds grapes! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful flavor combination! It's always fun to try out new side dishes...can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angry Asian,
    Good to see you again and thanks for taking time to leave your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jude,
    Grapes is a colorful and versatile fruit:D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chelsea,
    Me too, when I learn of a new side dish and if they are vegetables or fruits side dishes, I will hold on tight to it hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Quay Po, what a pretty dish! Have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Sandra,
    You too have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. so colorful and delicious. thanks for sharing such a unique recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. visda,
    My pleasure. I am always happy to share the joy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Many thanks and I will definitely give it a go as it's so colourful and good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linni, hope you like it. Thanks for dropping by and leave our comment.

      Delete
  20. This is interesting. Will add this to my recipe list. Will be a nice addition to our regular salads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a pretty and festive looking salad. You will like this if you like something a little sweet.

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!