Thursday, November 4, 2010

Sui Kow (Dumplings) with QPC wasabi mayo red pepper sauce - Featured in Group Recipes

My Mum's sui kow is awesome and the traditional way is to eat it with soup or deep fried.  A nights ago, I could not sleep and then my mind started to race with all kinds of food.  Then I craved for sui kow.  The first thing I got up the next morning is to ask Mum to go to the market to buy all the ingredients to make sui kow.  I told Mum I have an idea to use her sui kow in a Western way. I want to come up with a anti pasto with it. When we returned from the market, Mum started to make the sui kow and I started to experiment with the sauce to served with it.  

Here is the result.



Servings: 8 pcs sui kow (dumplings)

Ingredients for Sui kow (Dumplings):

4 medium prawns (without the shell, diced into 8 pcs)
40 gram minced semi-lean pork
2 pieces water chestnuts
(diced into 8 pcs)
2 pieces dried shitake mushrooms (make 8 slices)
1 tsp coriander leaves (only the leaves and chopped finely)
2 tsp spring onion (only ghe green part, finely diced)
9 pcs round-shaped dumpling wrappers


Seasonings:

 1 tb oyster sauce

½ ts sugar

¼ ts teaspoon sesame oil

a dash of ground white pepper

Other Ingredients:

60 gm bean sprouts shoots, washed and dry (if you do not like greenish taste, you cann blanch and deep in cold water and dry)
16 pcs of walnuts, toasted and glazed with maple syrup or honey

Ingredients for QPC wasabi mayo red pepper sauce:

4 tb mayonnaise
4 ts wasabi
2 ts Chinese cooking wine (hua tiau)
8 drops of sesame oil
1 ts ground red pepper
8 ts Thai sweet chilli sauce

METHOD TO PREPARE THE FILLING:

Peel prawns and devein them.  Cut each prawn into half. For mushrooms, wash and soak in water. Soak mushroom in warm water and when it is soft, squeeze out water and cut each mushroom into 4 pcs.  Remove skin of water chestnuts and cut each chestnut into 4 pcs.  Wash coriander leaves and chopped it finely.  In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients (prawns, pork, water chestnuts, mushrooms, spring onion and coriander leaves) and seasonings. Stir until well combined. Cover the bowl with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.

METHOD OF WRAPPING:
Here is the link:


METHOD FOR COOKING:
Boil a pot of water and add all the dumplings in and cook for 10 mins.  You will know that the dumpling is cooked when the wrapper is tansparent or the prawn inside looks pinkish. Usually when th dumplings float to the surface of the water, they are cooked.           

METHOD FOR ASSEMBLING:

Place a handful of bean sprout shoots on the serving plate, lay dumplings on it. Springkle with walnuts.   Serve with the sauce on the side.

The way to eat this is put a piece of walnut and some bean spout shoots in your mouth with each bite of the sui kow.  mmmm.... YUM! YUM!

Note: Let your imagination runs wild and come up with your own presentation of the dish. Have fun!
            

7 comments:

  1. Must try this out.
    The Dumplings look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dim sum and it's cool that you experimented with the sauce, looks great and I can imagine it to taste great together with mayo-based sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haddock,
    Try it and let me know the outcome. Visited your blog and love those pictures of the market place.

    Cooking Gallery,
    I think it is easy to like dim sum, and rather easy to pair them with any sauce. I had fun experimenting this sauce for the dumpling:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't need a sauce for Sui Kow, esp good delicious Sui Kow. I can eat 10 of them all in a soup and still want more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. tigerfish,
    I agree with you that the sauce to go with sui kow is very important. Me too, I can eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Acquired,
    You may have some, shall I courier them to you? hehe

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!