Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving Week! - Grill zuchinni, yellow squash & Pomegranates salad - featured in Group Recipes

This is a good week to reflect and be thankful for what we have. I am thankful for having a mum who unconditionally love me, a loving and caring hubby, an honest and creative son, a step-daughter who is beautiful inside and outside, a wonderful step-son-in-law and a courageous step grandson.  I am thankful to have a generous step brother, a kind sister-in- law, a lovely niece and two handsome nephews who will always be there for me when I need them.  I am thankful for having many good friends who will not hesitate to lend a helping hand when needed. This year, I am most thankful for being able to document my mum's and hubby's recipes on my blog and share the joy. I am thankful for getting better at cooking and photography and get so much joy from it. I am thankful that through my blog and other bloggers communities, I get to meet with many wonderful people from all over the world who are now part of my culinary adventure.

This is a new salad that I made up for Thanksgiving.  I wish to dedicate this dish to all the wonderful people out there. In this dish I have chosen three colors and this is what I wish you all:
Green: I wish you growth and harmony.
Yellow: I wish you hope, joy and happiness.
Pink: I send you all my love.  A pink carnations means, " I will never forget you". I picked the pomegranates for this salad because when I was a little girl, my mum always buy me this fruit as a treat. This will always be a special fruit for me.




Main Ingredients:
1 zucchini, sliced
1 yellow squash sliced
½ pomegranate, remove the skin and separate the fruits.

Ingredients for the salad dressing:
¾ cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin oil
1 tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp ground black pepper
¼ tsp salt

Method:
Grill zucchini and yellow squash without oil.  Set aside. Heat balasamic vineger and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer to reduce to 1/2 cup.  Add all other salad dressing ingredients and whisk till all combined.  Toss grilled zucchini yellow squash in dressing. Let it sit overnight in the fridge. When ready to serve, add pomegranates and mix well.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the meaning of Thanksgiving week. Yes, we have to thanks and appreciate what we have it now. This is a beuatiful and wonderful salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonia,
    We have to remind ourselves often that we do not take those who love us for granted. There is no restriction on the time to show our appreciation. However, Festive season like Thanksgiving is a good time to do so:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up in Asia, we don't really celebrate Thanksgiving too. But this year, we are using this time to be thankful for what we have :)

    You have a beautiful dish !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great presentation! Flavors, too; especially the balsamic. For supper tonight I roasted acorn squash halves and filled them with a quinoa salad that had pomegranate arils, toasted pine nuts, lime juice, basil and mint. Was delicious! Sort of a similar theme between our two.

    Cheers,

    *Heather*

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!