Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Braised ridged gourd with beancurd skin

This is one famous dish at a Chinese Restaurant down town called Overseas.  That was where I first tasted it.  I love it ever since and whenever there is nice ridged gourd in the market, I will ask my Mum to cook this dish. 

Matured fruit section of the gourd can be used as a bath or kitchen sponge after being processed. My girfriend gave me a set of bath goodies last Christmas and there is this ridged gourd bath sponge in it.  Gives me a nice scrub and I like it.  Oh and it’s juice is believed to be a natural remedy for jaundice. 



Serving: 4

Ingredients:
1 pc 300gm ridged gourd
1 tin 425gm mushroom
5 pcs beancurd skins
1 tb vegetable oil
1 ts chopped garlic
(A)
1 tb oysters sauce
½ ts ground white pepper
1 cube bullion chicken stock, mashed
1 cup water
(B)
1 tsp corn flour
2 tb water

Method
:
Heat oil in wok and deep fry tofu skin till golden and set serving plate. Remove skin and ridges from gourd. Cut into wedges about 2-3 inches length.
 Heat up 1 tbsp oil in wok, saute chopped ginger until fragrant. Add in fried ridged gourd and stir well.
 Add mushroom and (A) and cook for 5 mins. Mix (B) pour into wok to thicken the gravy.  Mix well and dish everything out and pour over tofu skin.  Ready to serve.

9 comments:

  1. Yes, the Ipoh Overseas restaurant is also famous for their 'sing kua tau fu'. Their tau fu is soft and smooth. Your dish also serves well as a vegetarian combo! Nice clicks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cheah,
    Thanks for your comments. Where is this Overseas Restaurant in Ipoh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks very interesting but I am not sure what a ridges gourd is. I will do a search on Google to see what I come up with. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. You cook something delicious almost every single day! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane,
    I hope you can find the ridged gourd and try this dish.
    Kim,
    My goal is to reach 1000 recipes on my blog so if I cook one dish a day, it will take me 3 years to reach that goal:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    The dish looks simple and yummy...Wow 1000 recipes...Good luck!!:)

    Dr.Sameena@

    http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Sameena,
    Thanks for your visit and taking time to comment. hahaha, your reaction to the 1000 recipes is the same like my hubby when I told him that and thanks for wishing me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wooo...I love ridge gourd. Usually I do a simple stir-fry, salt and white pepper to taste, add a drop of sesame oil at the end. Sometimes, I make egg-drop soup with it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. tigerfish,
    Yes, we do that too, egg drop soup with ridge gourd is delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!