Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Mushroom Soup - Featured in Group Recipes

Making mushrooms soup reminds me of a success story.  There are about 400 mushroom farms in my country producing about RM30mil worth of mushroom products a month, but there is one success story that I like.  A young entrepreneur,  who was a drop out from college, began mushroom farming after he attended a course on mushroom growing in 1986, conducted by one the professors at a local university, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia.

After learning the basics, he asked his father to allow him to start a mushroom project on his father’s land in 1987.
With the help of his siblings, they began to grow mushrooms and set up a company.
His business became so good that not long after that, he bought the land from his father and today his company produces about 150 tons of mushrooms a month. They are responsible for one third of the country’s production of mushrooms.
The moral of the story is that there is no one who will believe in you, or support you, more than your family:D
Mushroom Soup

Serving : 2

Ingredients
30 gm fresh Shitaki mushroom  (sliced)
30gm Erynigii mushroom (sliced)
10 gm dried Shitaki mushroom (soaked and sliced)
30 gm leek (diced)
1/2 medium size white onion (chopped)
1/2 medium russet potato (diced)
1/4 cup chopped fennel
1/4 cup chopped carrot
1 bay leaf
1/2 tb chopped thyme
2 tb butter
1/4 cup white wine
1 ts vanilla extract
500 ml chicken stock (for convenient, you can dissolve 1 cubes chicken stock in 500ml water
salt and pepper to taste
chopped parsley or chive for garnishing
Full cream milk to thin the soup if necessary

Method:

Heat wok and add butter and sauté onion, carrot, fennel, potatoes and leek for 2 mins.  Add another table spoon butter and all the mushrooms and saute for another 2 mins. Add white wine ad cook until liquid evaporates about 5 mins.  Add chicken stock, bay leave and thyme and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes is soft stirring occasionally for about 30 mins.  Discard bay leaf and let it cool.  Work in batches, puree soup in blender.  Return soup to pot and add milk to thin the soup if it is too thick.  Bring to simmer ad season with sale and pepper.  Add vanilla extract and mix well. Ladle soup into bowls and sprinkle with chopped parsley or chive.

16 comments:

  1. Your mushroom soup looks tasty..mmmm just drooling makes me salivates already. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Will want to try this out one day for my Piggies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elin,

    Thanks for visiting my blog.. I hope you like the mushroom soup... how many Piggies have you got? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. That soup looks gorgeous... I love mushrooms and have been looking for a good creamy mushroom soup recipe. Thx for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, thanks for visiting my blog and like my mushroom soup recipe. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. donkey and the carrot, thanks for following my blog:D I love you blog and the sumptuous photos...makes me mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. who the mushroom grower ah? your recipe looks healthy, no cream! sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. fatboybakes, will tell you who the mushrooms grower is when I see you next week:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm... as I read through the ingredients I think I started to drool. I like the savor seasonings and wine. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prairie, thanks for dropping by and you are most welcome:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Wee Kean, this is a good soup to make for Small Kucing.

      Delete
  11. Devil and I both love mushroom soup lots! And I believe the quality of the mushrooms makes a big difference, yes? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes I love mushroom soup, can we have some? :P

      Delete
    2. Kenny, yes the quality of mushrooms makes a big difference. CK, sure can:D

      Delete
  12. Hi Quay Po! Hope you and your family are all doing well. :)
    Your mushroom soup looks very tasty! I've so many different mushrooms (fresh and dried shiitake, bunashimeji, oyster shrooms and white button shrooms) in my fridge now and did intended to try making my own cream of mushroom soup thou I've got the canned ones. Then I saw your posting in FB and here I am checking out your recipe instead of searching blindly. LOL :)
    Enjoy your fabulous weekend! ^^

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!