Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Old Cucumber soup (low wong kuah) - Featured in Group Recipes

Like all Chinese soup, it is very easy to make.  Just throw everything into the pot and simmer for 2 to 3 hours and you will have a pot of hearty soup.  During the days when both my late hubby and I were working, what we did is to throw everything into the crock pot and then when we return from work, we just eat white rice with the soup for dinner.  It is definitely much healthier than going for fast food.


Ingredients:

1 old cucumber (slice half lengthwise, remove seeds 
but retain the skin, then cut across into chunks)
250 gms pork ribs
8 red dates
3 honey dried dates
1 litre water

Method:

Blanch pork rib and set aside. Bring water to boil. Add pork ribs and the rest of the ingredients.  Turn on high heat and let it boil for 5 mins without covering the pot.  Turn down the heat to low and cover the port and simmer for 2 hours. Add salt to taste before serving.

Note: Some people like to add a piece of dried cuttlefish or dried scallops.  It is all up to individual preference. 

6 comments:

  1. yummms! this reminds me of when I was young and theres always traditional chinese soup. I love it!

    have an awesome day!!!
    jen @ www.charmoflife.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great and over all blog. I have recently had some family move to Asia and I am anxiously awaiting some fun recipe from them. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen,
    You too have an wonderful day:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi The Manluy Housewife,
    Glad to be able to share the joy of cooking with you:D
    Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a wonderful soup recipe. I wonder if the old cucumber can be substituted with winter melon or something like that ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. WTCT,

    You can use winter melon also, not a problem.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!