Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Water Chestnut Dessert - Featured in Group Recipes

This is a recipe I found on the web some time ago. Unfortunately I forgot to save the link and could not give credit to the owner of the recipe. My bad. The only ingredient I changed was replacing evaporated milk with whipped cream and it turned out well.

This Asian dessert was featured in Asian Food Channel (Official) Facebook page
on 2nd October 2012

Servings 4

Ingredients:
65g sago, washed and soaked for 5–10 minutes, then drained
300g fresh water chestnuts (ma tai), coarsely chopped
1.2 litres water
175g castor sugar
3 pandan leaves, shredded and knotted
(A) combined:
100ml thick coconut milk
1 tbsp whipped cream
½ tsp salt
1 egg white, lightly beaten

Method:
Put water, sugar and pandan leaves in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add water chestnuts and sago. Cook until sago turns transparent.

Stir in combined ingredients (A) and bring to a low simmer for two to three minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in egg white.

Dish out and serve warm.

6 comments:

  1. I love desserts. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will surely try this out.

    Take the Dessert Personality Test and find out your personality on the basis of your favorite dessert. I have taken the test and have enjoyed a lot. Hope you too will enjoy it. Have Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you two are such a cute couple, and look so happy together!
    Thank you for commenting on my blog, I am checking out yours too. This water chestnut dessert looks really good, and so different from the Western styles, including your other dishes, which I will take more time to check out! Hope you choose to follow my blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Collin,
    Thanks for dropping by. I hope you will like this dessert as much as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Elisabeth,
    Thanks for your compliment. I am your follower already:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vincent,

    Thanks for the invitation to join petitchef.com. I have signed up as a member and posted a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Quay Po, since you like "tong sui", have you tried this type ? white wood ear 白木耳/ 雪耳, fresh water chestnuts (ma tai), coarsely chopped, rock sugar. I love to add in some 枸杞子 -- the tiny red fruits from Chinese medical Hall. It is good to our eyes and brighten the "tong sui" too. I even add some before I dish up any of my stir fry veggie dishes too.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!