Friday, September 10, 2010

Tau foo "kang" (Smooth thick Tau foo soup) - Featured in Group Recipes

There are so many types of tau foo.  Tau foo has a high protein content and is rich in iron, calcium and B vitamins. Silken tau foo is the softest and is best for mashing, blending for dips, dressings and sauces, so for the following recipe, my mum used this type for the soup, or “kang” in Cantonese, which is thick and smooth. I remember the first time we had this dish, we had it in Bangsar Seafood Restaurant.  My hubby and I had lunch with my ex boss, Tony.  Tony is a foodie and he knew every little street and corner restaurant, small or large, for good food... especially Chinese food.  Every now and then I used to get a phone call from him asking me when I am going to be sick of being a "lady of leisure" and go back to work for him.  I was the Sales Manager for his firm back then. I told him that I am not what he thinks I am .  I am a “One Leg Kick” (a person wearing many hats).  Then, after a long while I never heard from him. I tried to call him on his handphone and there was no answer.  Just recently, I learned from  one of our common friends that Tony had a massive stroke, survived it but he is now bed ridden.  I am very sad to hear that my dear friend is in such a condition but on the other hand, he is a lucky man. His lovely wife is taking good care of him. So now, whenever Mum serves us tau foo kang, I think of Tony and what a great boss he had been to me.  I like to put my rice into the soup and eat it that way.  No other side dish is required because it taste so good. My husband agrees, and this is one of his favorites as well.


Tau Foo Kang (Mashed tau foo smooth thick soup)



Ingredients
1 box of white silken smooth tau foo
3 dried shitake mushroom (soaked, squeezed dry and sliced)
6 water chestnut (diced) 
½ a medium carrot (diced)
1 cup diced chicken breast meat or tigh meat
6 dried small scallops (soaked and water retained for use later)
1 ½ tb vegetable oil
100 ml water
½ cup parsley (chopped)
¼ spring onion (diced)
Salt & white pepper to taste

Method:

Marinate:
Ingredients
1 tb corn flour
1 tb oysters sauce
1 ts sesame oil
2 tb water
½ cube chicken stock
Sale and white pepper to taste

Mixed all the above ingredients and marinate the chicken for 15 mins or more. Lightly mashed the tau foo and set aside. Heat oil in wok and sauté marinated diced chicken meat and stir fry till meat turn whitish.  Add carrot, water chestnut and stir fry for 2 mins.  Add 100 ml water and let it boil.  Add mash tau foo and dried scallop and. mix well.  Let it simmer for about 2 mins and add salt and white pepper to taste. Turn off heat and add spring onion and parsley and transfer to serving bowl.

7 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! It's definitely fall now and soups will be plenty present in our home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, Thanks for dropping by. Enjoy the soup:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your post and the writing about two cultures combining to make a dish. My son would love this soup. I look forward to sharing idea's on baking and cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your soup looks so delicious, love all the wonderful ingredients.

    Anna
    http://annastable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa,
    Me too, look forward to sharing the joy with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna,
    this is truly a hearty soup. there is one more awesome soup recipe from my Mum which I will post later. We need to find a really nice winter melon to do that. Stay tune.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, I could do with a steaming bowl of soup at the moment, it's too cold over here! Sorry to hear about your friend Tony.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!