Saturday, September 11, 2010

Stir fry Baby Bok Choy with quail century eggs - Featured in Group Recipes

Not many people like century eggs because of their pungent flavor. It is indeed an acquired taste. For a lot of Westerners, the look of it does not appeal to them and usually is a “No-No” for them.  I guess my hubby is among the few quaylos that eat century eggs but he is not crazy about it like me and my Mum. We like to eat them with sweet and sour sliced ginger.  However,  I did not began to like century eggs until I am a adult.  When we are younger, we tend to have a more sensitive palate that rejected strong flavors like the century egg yolk.  Usually in the Chinese Restaurant, century eggs are a delicacy, and they are served in small quantities as an appetizer course. You will often see it in a Dim Sum Menu.

The Chinese word for Amonia is “Ma Liu” literally means
horse urine.  When I was a little girl, I always thought that it was used in making these eggs. This is probably one reason that I don’t like it then.  Of course now I know this just a myth.  To make century eggs, you need an alkaline substance for the preservation so horse urine which is acidic won’t work (thank goodness). 

Stir fry Baby bok choy with quail century eggs

Ingredients
300 gms baby bok choy 
2 slices ginger
2 tb soya sauce
1/4 cup water
½ cube chicken stock
A few drops sesame oil
1 1/2 tb vegetable oil for stir-frying
Salt and white pepper to taste
5 quail century eggs (halfed)

Method

Wash the baby bok choy and drain.  Heat wok and add oil. Add ginger and stir fry until the ginger fragrant. Add bok choy stalk first and fry for while follow by the leafs. Stir in the soya sauce, chicken stock and stir fry on high heat for 1 min. Add the water, cover the wok and simmer for about 2 minutes. Add century eggs and stir in the sesame oil and serve. 

2 comments:

  1. yummers!! I miss eating bok choy!! easpecially the mini ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen,
    thanks for stopping by. Is it difficult to get bok choy at your end?

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!