Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Oriental Cauliflower Polonaise

Two days ago, when I was shopping at the Jaya Grocers, Empire, I saw lovely colorful cauliflowers.  I could not resist picking up one head of each color. They are so fresh and beautiful.  I can imagine what the scenery would be like in a cauliflower farm. If I am not mistaken, there is orange color cauliflower also but I have only seen it in pictures.  


Cauliflower is known for containing nutrients that fight against many diseases. If you can eat it raw, it will give you better nutritional benefits but as long as you do not overcooked it, its cancer fighting agent is not lost.  I am surprise to find out that just 3 florets of cauliflower a day will provide us 67% of our daily vitamin C requirement. Amazing!


When you buy cauliflower, please make sure there is no brown spots on the florets because if there is, then it has probably lost its nurtirents and you are just eating fibre.
Cauliflower Polonaise is a western dish but after I added the oriental taste to it, it will definitely pleases the oriental palate better. Even my Mum said it is delicious but I did not tell her there is butter in it because if she knows there is, she will not touch the dish.  Sssh!!


Oriental Cauliflower Polonaise







Ingredients

 

 2 eggs
1 1/2 heads of cauliflower (choice of color is optional)
Water
4 tablespoons butter 
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tb fried shallots (thinly sliced and fried)
1 tb extra virgin olive oil
2 tb soya sauce
Salt and black pepper to taste
a drop or two chilly oil (optional)

Method

 

Thinly sliced shallots and fry till golden brown.  Make sure all the oil is drained and free of oil so that it is crispy and set aside.  Hard-boiled eggs - peeled and chopped and set aside. Boil cauliflower for about 10 mins until tender and drain.  Place cauliflower on a a big mixing bowl. In small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter.  Add bread crumbs, and cook, stirring until golden. Stir in chopped eggs, parsley, orange juice and water. Mix well and put them on top of the cauliflower. Add extra virgin olive oil, soya sauce, salt and black pepper and toss well and transfer to a serving bowl. This dish can be serve hot or cold according to personal preference.

6 comments:

  1. Wow so colourful! Nice ;-)

    Thanks for coming by my blog and you have a nice one too. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. babe_kl,
    Thanks for dropping by mine and the encouraging words:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://annastable.blogspot.comSeptember 14, 2010 at 10:34 PM

    Such a colourful dish. We also get orange cauliflower at home. Thanks for sharing,

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks absolutely delicious! I also loved reading about you and your husband. I totally agree with you that recipes are for sharing. (PS, nice name you have!)

    All the best,
    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna,
    You are welcome..I sure hope I will come across some orange cauliflower someday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Veronica,
    Thanks for dropping by. I went to your blog site and love your story too. It is good that you have time now to pursue your passion and wish you all the best in the competition:D

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!